Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Help request with first XBMC HTPC build
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys, I'm looking to buy a windows 7 OR 8 based HTPC that will run XBMC for my parents.

It's a christmas gift. I'm happy to pay for quality and efficiency, but I don't want to part with more cash than is necessary for their requirements - no need for overkill! PLEASE NOTE! I'M BASED IN IRELAND, SO ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ON VENDORS SHOULD IDEALLY BASED IN EU OR ABLE TO DELIVER HERE!

I'm happy to build the unit myself if it works out cheaper, but if there's a ready made / ready to go HTPC build or configuration I'd prefer to go for that for the sake of convenience.

REQUIREMENTS:
  • I want a high spec machine that will play near enough everything that's thrown at it.

• Should be able to handle FULL HD, 1080P 3D movies

• Would like it to double as a KAREOKE machine [Would like proper microphone inputs if available] (I believe the XBMC software has kareoke capabilities?)

• Machine will be configured to bypass windows 8 start screen and boot straight into XBMC

• I would like a SSD for OS & XBMC installation and general responsiveness; content will be stored and accessed locally via SMB/NAS

• I would like the HTPC to be capable of running as SMB share - streaming content on external drives to other XBMC servers and devices

• Finally, I would like a relatively attractive case with a good form factor. Ideally fanless should the suggested spec allow for it, but definitely should be quiet!

Thanks so much for taking the time to read. Looking forward to your help and suggestions!