Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: No Arial based font in home menu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yesterday I did some testing on Frodo on my Windows computer.
My HTPC is a linux based computer running Eden.

I noticed that when I select the arial based font from settings, the font in the home menu doesn't change.
I really like the look of the arial based font in Eden (under Linux). Is this a (little) bug in Frodo?
Looking at the skin it appears that the arial.ttf supplied with XBMC 12 is the same as in 11, and it looks like the font for the home / main menu is the same except called font50caps_title in 11 and font_MainMenu in 12. Also in 12 the style is set as "bold" while no style is set in 11. That's the only difference I can see. Maybe you swapped something in Eden for arial.ttf (like maybe MSarialuni.ttf?) You might try copying over the arial.ttf from xbmc/media/Fonts on your Eden / linux box over to the Frodo install (same location) after backing up the original.

scott s.
Thanks, I'll try that.

You said something about the style set to "bold" in 12. I think that that's exactly the difference I'm seeing.
Is it possible to set it back to regular?
Sure, just go to the xbmc\addons\skin.confluence\720p folder and open Font.xml in text editor. You see that all the entries are grouped in tags:

Code:
    <fontset id="Arial" idloc="31392" unicode="true">
    </fontset>

When you scroll down to the "Arial" fontset section you see all the entries. The one I think you want is:
Code:
        <font>
            <name>font_MainMenu</name>
            <filename>arial.ttf</filename>
            <size>35</size>
            <style>bold</style>
        </font>

just delete the whole
Code:
<style>bold</style>
line. Probably best to backup first. You might consider getting rid of all the "bold" style entries depending on how it looks to you. I couldn't see a big difference myself.

scott s.
Thanks! I figured it out myself while searching in the XBMC folder.
This is what I was searching for. I really like the look of the regular font in stead of the bold one.

I don't know why this was changed, because now Arial and other fonts look a bit the same in the main menu.

Thank you very much for this small workaround!