Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMCBuntu Frodo Beta 1 Audio Issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm having some audio over HDMI issues with XBMCBuntu Frodo Beta 1. I'm running a new PC with an Asus P8H77-I motherboard and I'm using the onboard HDMI for video and audio. When I set the audio settings to:
Code:
Audio output device - HDA Intel PCH, GBE HDMI Home
Passthrough output device - HDA Intel PCH, GBE HDMI Home
I'm not getting any sound at all (no menu sounds, music, DD or DTS. When I go back into Setup - System - Audio output both Passthrough and Audio output are set to blank. I'm having the same issue with the daily builds of Frodo OpenELEC. I tried the stable versions of OpeneELEC (Dharma and Eden) and the audio is working fine.

Here's the output from aplay -l
Code:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: VT1708S Analog [VT1708S Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: VT1708S Digital [VT1708S Digital]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 2: VT1708S HP [VT1708S HP]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

I've uploaded my debug XBMC.log file to Pastebin as well
http://pastebin.com/gxjkfta7
hey mate,

Does the OS have working sounds?

Also i notice XBMC isnt finding pulseaudio, is that disabled for a reason (from memory its in Ubuntu by default)
there is a good chance you are getting the problems i have been having with card enumeration, your card is hw:0,3 / plughw:0,3 if you wanted to try adding it as a manual source into pulseaudio.

I would start with the OS, once you get the sounds there, work on XBMC. Frodo has no manual overrides to write direct out to hardware so getting the OS sounds working first is key.
Also PS here is my posts from today:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=145971
Thanks abeeson, I do have audio working in the OS. I was able to play a wav file by running "aplay -D plughw:0,3 wavefile.wav". Not sure how to enable pulseaudio or whether it should be enabled or disabled.
don't use pulseaudio i can tell you that. you tryed any modprobe lines?
type pacmd list-sinks and see what it spits out, if you get any output, post it here, it'll pretty much indicate that pulse is in use.

Normally i would agree with Hack_kid but im on the edge of getting pulse working properly and there is a lot of good reasons to use it.

either way, lets start with if it is in use at all and go from there, let us know the output Smile
Thanks abeeson. I ran pacmd list-sinks and got the following output

-bash: pacmd: command not found

Hack_kid, I'm a Windows guy so I'm not sure what modprobe lines are...
Could my issue possibly be related to this topic on Git?
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/1779
can you post a screenshot of your audio settings in xbmc.

Pulseaudio is not needed in fact, unless you have some full desktop crappified install.

Also use advancedsettings.xml
Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <audio>
    <streamsilence>1</streamsilence>
  </audio>
</advancedsettings>

In your xbmc audio settings I would disable AC3 and DTS, because you TV probably doesn't support that, you need a AVR that supports those modes in passthrough.

uNi
Here's a screenshot of what I have everything setup as - http://openelec.tv/media/kunena/attachme...-11-24.jpg

I have my HTPC connected to a Monoprice HDMI switch and from that my HDMI goes to my TV and the Toslink goes to my Denon 2802 AVR. I'm using HDMI audio as the Monoprice switch doesn't have Toslink or Coax input on the HDMI connectors.

I'll add those lines to my advancedsetings.xml when I get home tonight. Just out of curiosity, what does that do?

Please keep in mind that this exact setup worked with the Eden version of OpenELEC. I'm only having issues with the XBMCBuntu and OpenELEC versions of Frodo, so I'm assuming that this is an issue with the new AudioEngine?
I cant comment on what worked for you in Eden and doesnt work now, but AE does have its problems however it does handle audio output better (apparently) though it does have its bugs.

<streamsilence>1</streamsilence> does just that streams silence all the time when the sink has no sound, this addresses some bugs and problems with AE and connected equipment or so I have read. adding that cures a few of these issues

You should try to disable DTS and AC3 in audio settings and see if that makes a difference. (your AVR will handle that in non passthrough apparently?

uNi
Thanks uNi, I added that entry to my advancedsettings.xml, rebooted and I'm still not getting any sound. I deselected DD, DTS, Output stereo to all speakers and Boost volume level on downmix (basically everything in the menu) and that didn't resolve it. Next I changed my Speaker Configuration to 2.0 and tried setting to HDA Intel PCH, GBE HDMI Home but the settings just reverted back to blank after I left the Audio settings and went back.

One thing that I noticed in my XBMC.log file after changing the Output devices to HDMI, then exiting the Audio settings menu and going back in is the following error - "WARNING: Failed to find previously selected audio sink".
Another of possible interest is this - "INFO: CAESinkALSA - ALSA: pcm_hw.c:587Sadsnd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START failed (-32): Broken pipe"
Both those errors (""everyone"" has both, though that second error its a buffer problem in AE I have that too) have nothing to do with your problem, if anything you would want to pastebin a full debug log, so enable debug.

You only disable AC3 and DTS enable debug and restart xbmc for good measure grab that debug and pastebinit.

uNi

Removal of pulseaudio did the trick for me.