Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC hangs on playback of some files, core goes to 100%
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a whole bunch of episodes of a series as .mpg files. When watching the first episode last night XBMC hang after a couple of minutes with the following error in xbmc.log:

Code:
13:17:27 T:140182452643584 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
13:17:27 T:140182452643584   ERROR: GetDelay - snd_pcm_delay, alsa error: -32 - Broken pipe

xbmc.log
Output of mediainfo

I'm running OpenElec 2.0 [XBMC Eden] on a AMD E350. I checked it with XVBA on and off, but it didn't make a difference. When the cpu goes to 50% (one core goes to 100% I guess). The file plays fine in VLC.
Yesterday I converted these files to mkv/h264 files using Handbrake and today I tried to watch some episodes, with no luck. Problem also occured with some of these files. Anyone having an idea on how to fix this? Tried a couple of things tonight with no luck:

- Updating BIOS
- Playing the file from a different USB disk
- Log level on debug (no extra information about the problem)

Before XBMC hangs first the display freezes and then the audio stops. Top shows this output:

Code:
Mem: 613676K used, 2922716K free, 0K shrd, 64744K buff, 334196K cached
CPU:  0.0% usr 54.5% sys  0.0% nic 45.4% idle  0.0% io  0.0% irq  0.0% sirq
Load average: 0.97 0.65 0.31 2/188 1617
  PID  PPID USER     STAT   VSZ %VSZ CPU %CPU COMMAND
1213     1 root     R    1089m 31.5   1 49.9 /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin --standalone -fs --lircdev /var/run/lirc/lircd

As it is a dual core system, it's obvious one core goes to 100%.
It's seems to be OpenELEC related. I just tested it with XBMCuntu and the video plays fine. Only no hardware acceleration for Fusion I'm afraid. Nice thing is, the menu sounds work fine now :-)
@PluueeR:
Can you go into your BIOS and change the UMA size of the memory to 512MB? This is highly important.

Further you could test the very latest openelec pre 3.0 builds from here: http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/

As time of writing this is: http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/Ope...77.tar.bz2

Openelec 3.0 will also include xvba support.
Disabling Sync Playback to Display seems to fix this. Weird!
@PluueeeR:
Please try the above. Btw. "Sync Playback to Display" makes only sense if you also check "Adjust Refreshrate to match video". It makes no sense to match 24p or 23.976 content to 60hz.
I was wrong. Did some additional testing tonight. And the problem was solved by setting: "Vertical blank sync" from "Always on" to "Let driver choose (requires restart)".

@fritsch, I already set the UMA size to 512 MB (max.). Does OpenELEC 3.0 have better support for the AMD Fusion platform?
@PluueeR:
Yes it has support out of the box. As the 2.0 also had.
@fritsch I know, but is it better than in 2.0? :-)
@PluueeR:
Yes. Better detection of broken files and > 2K files are handled without crashing the decoder. Also the whole Audio stuff got a whole lot better. Still searching a solution to hide DTS-HD/True-HD for AMD users, as fglrx cannot do it ...

If you can, install oe 3.0b1, should be is great.

Update: The mediainfo shows, that this file is not decoded by XVBA as its mpeg2 - try with the beta1 and see if it gets better.