Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Best PVR app
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a really good PVR backend server I can use with XBMC?
I have a Quad TV tuner card. and windows 7 .thanks
I like NextPVR.

I only tried ForTheRecord (now known as Argus??) and NextPVR.

ForTheRecord took hours to set up and even then it was hard to sort out problems. Some I just couldn't sort.

NextPVR took about 45 minutes, was dead easy and everyone is really helpful on the forum. Works like a charm.

+1 for nextpvr
tvheadend with linux! just noticed you said windows 7 - never mind!
I've been using Media Portal TV Server. It's ok but I find that changing channels in XBMC takes longer. It's not instant and can take like a minimum of 5 seconds which although does not sound allot
seems so when your switching channels.
Also, some of the channels like ArgosTV (in the UK) does not even play. I've returned the channels as well. and still it's a no go. It would not even play using the PREVIEW feature inside the
Media Portal TV server app itself.

Is Media Portal the best choice? I read it's very good?
Not overly impressed so far. I do have a quad tuner so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it?
I really like Argus (ForTheRecord). Yeah the setup is a bit much but it's very feature filled and works really well - playback is flawless, I don't know why but TvHeadEnd was glitchy as hell for me with the same hardware. Channel changes have definitely got slower of late those with Argus, I think due to changes in the plugin. I am pretty sure this will get better with time though, it's some sort of ffmpeg stream parser thing and people seem to be looking into it. Once over the setup hurdle, the excellent recording logic in Argus is just great, and it's been rock solid for months for me.
Hi,

So channel changes are slow on all backend TV servers?
I think it depends on muxing/stream parsing and where it is done, which does vary. If you search I saw FernetMenta talking about it somewhere
+1 for NextPVR here
I am using DVB Viewer as backend on Windows 8 and I am very satisfied. Switching time between channels is approx. 2 sec. I used TV Headend before and switching times were much longer...
some people seem to use a linux tv backend like tvheadend in a virtual machine, may be that's an option .. btw tvheadend, even with word code client and hd channels switches in less 1-2 sec. [single seat setup here] ..
(2012-12-12, 12:52)LastCoder Wrote: [ -> ]some people seem to use a linux tv backend like tvheadend in a virtual machine, may be that's an option .. btw tvheadend, even with word code client and hd channels switches in less 1-2 sec. [single seat setup here] ..

same here but not single seat.