Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Fanart, Thumbs not working after myslq synch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have 3 HTPCs running XBMC (Eden V11) and 2 of them are working perfectly. But one is having a problem with fan art and such. After updating the library with new content, 2 of the three will have fan art and thumbnails and all artwork in place, but the one that isn't working properly will have listings for the new content, and will play the content, shows the correct info for the movie or TV show, but no artwork.

I assume there is a config file that determines the location/path for the artwork that I need to modify for this HTPC. Prior to the introduction of MySQL this HTPC worked fine. I updated it to Windows 8 and then installed mysql on one of the other HTPCs which seems to work perfectly with this one exception. Any suggestions on troubleshooting this issue? Any tips on which file or setting within XBMC determines where the HTPC looks for the path?

One last bit of info, after doing the synch, this HTPC had no artwork for any of the content. I did another import of the DB and that seemed to fix it, but now nothing new shows up and I have to add it manually.

Thanks!
(2012-11-25, 22:29)Diggs Wrote: [ -> ]I did another import of the DB and that seemed to fix it, but now nothing new shows up and I have to add it manually.

Check your logs. Sounds like you are not connecting to the MySQL database on that machine. Also, you do not need to import the database on each client. Just one time on one machine after setting up the MySQL database should be necessary.

ETA: If you are not connecting to the database, I would start by making sure you have the port opened up on your problematic client.
Sorry, what you quoted me on is misleading. It should say, only the artwork doesn't show up, the content is there just no thumbs or fanart. My fault for not being clear. Are there any settings within XBMC that let you determine where the art files are stored? I can't seem to find anything and assume it is listed in an xml file, but don't know which one or where it would be located. It's odd that only the one pc doesn't know where to look and appears it is only using local art files and not the ones from the server. Once I tell it to pull the artwork, it does and works fine, but it should have it after the db update, which is why I feel it is looking for the files local.

Thanks and again sorry for not being more clear.
My bad, I am thinking Frodo and you clearly stated Eden. Eden does not sync artwork the way Frodo does. To be honest, it's been so long since I used Eden with local thumbnail caches, I can't remember for sure what the normal Eden behavior was. I always preferred the shared thumbnail directory for all of my clients so that I could keep everything in sync.

If I remember correctly, and it's entirely possible that I do not, it seemed like this would happen if the textures.db was corrupted. It is supposed to pull the artwork the first time you access new content with missing artwork. To test if it is a corrupted textures.db just exit XBMC and go to your userdata\database directory and rename the textures6.db to something like textures6.old.db.

Note that I do not recall what number the textures.db was for Eden, so just do it to the highest numbered textures.db in the directory.

Next time you start XBMC it will rebuild the textures.db. Again, I don't recall for sure with Eden, but I believe you might have to do a full library refresh to pull all of the artwork again.

If this doesn't work, you can simply delete the new database and restore the original name to the old one (or just leave the new one in place since it won't actually hurt anything).
You want this: HOW-TO:Sync multiple libraries/Sync thumbails and fanart (wiki)

Personally, I'd just copy the thumbnails folder to all XBMC devices manually as a temp solution until Frodo is out, because you'll have to do this when you upgrade: HOW-TO:Sync_multiple_libraries/Upgrading_XBMC_to_v12#Thumbnails (wiki)
I am starting to think this is a Windows 8 problem. I followed the "HOW-TO:Sync multiple libraries/Sync thumbails and fanart" instructions 3 times and it wouldn't pull the images from the shared thumbs folder. Each attempt just resulted in all artwork missing, which indicates a network problem or the path in the xml file is somehow incorrect. This HTPC is the only Win8 based system and the only one experiencing this issue. Thanks to all for your input and suggestions, but I will just manually update this PC until Frodo is released. I haven't been keeping up with it's development, but it is sounding like I have some work to do once I updgrade.

Thanks again!!
Just a quick update, this issue is not a windows 8 problem. I am still unsure what it is, but obviously something with the DB connection isn't complete. Will run through the instructions and process again this weekend if I have time and see if I can figure it out. I thought I had checked my bedroom HTPC and the fanart was updating, but it isn't and only the system I do a library update on gets artwork, the other 2 do not.

I am considering upgrading to Frodo, and might make the jump since it's final SHOULD be early half of 2013. If I figure it out, I will post here. Otherwise, I am doing the Frodo update.

Also wanted to say thanks for everyones input.
Barring major issues, the new builds are usually final in the first month or two of the new year, possibly with a maintenance release a couple of months behind that.

As far as your issues go, how are you attempting to sync your artwork? Considering that path subs can slow down library performance, I always preferred symlinks to sync my artwork but with Frodo so near to release, it is wasted effort (IMO only) as Frodo will sync thumbs on it's own. Once you upgrade to Frodo it's really best to just let Frodo handle the syncing, so you would either need to go remove all symlinks or path subs upon upgrading, as noted in Neds second link.

If you are going to update to Frodo, then disregard the following as it's a non-issue. If you're trying to use a shared folder and only the one machine is pulling art, my guess is your share permissions are not correct. Windows shares are extremely easy to screw up, even when they look right to you. For instance, sharing a nested folder does not always work if the parent folders are not shared or, more importantly, explicitly NOT shared. Also, make sure that password protected sharing is not enabled in the network and sharing center of the host machine.
Whatever the issue is, it is getting worse. Thanks again for all the replies and info and links. Now none of my HTPCs see the second server I added a week or so ago. It was working fine with the exception of the artwork until then. Now XBMC only lists the content on Server 1, Server 2 is just MIA. Something has obviously gone awry with this so I am considering starting from scratch. 2 of the 3 XBMC installs get very little use, my main PC has it installed simply to allow me to do library updates after getting new content in place since I do that from the PC in the first place. It might play a file for a test run but I never watch a complete show or film on it. The one in the bedroom was used often at one point, but it hasn't played a file in a month plus. So, I think I am going to simply ditch MySQL. It's my 3rd attempt to get everything synched and each time it works somewhat for a while then just begins having problems, which I am sure are user error. I just don't know how to troubleshoot an SQL connection or really understand how it all works, I just follow the instructions. More trouble that it is worth with the fact I only really use one HTPC. Hopefully they will implement a server client style release for V13. Have mentioned it before, but an unraid package would be awesome.