Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: What to use... Tags, Library Nodes, SmartPlaylists?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have tried searching and read many threads... they are all very large and confusing. Thus, I'm asking here...

I'd like a way to have a separate home menu item so each: Kids Movies & Kids TV Shows.

There are two issues here...
1) Movies
- these properly scan into the Movies DB.
- I want a home menu link (using Aeon Nox so I know how to create a new menu item already) that only shows the Movies identified as Childens

2) TV Shows
- some of these will not scan into the TV Shows DB.
- I want a home menu link that only shows the TV Shows identified as Childens but also shows items that do not scan, just showing them as the filename

Can someone outline the best/easiest way to do this?

thx!

I wouldn't use Tags for this, since you would have to manually tag any new content added to the library.

If you use Smart Playlists or Custom Video Nodes you eliminate this manual step. Smart Playlists and Custom Video Nodes work pretty much the same way, but Smart Playlists can be created from the XBMC user interface, while Custom Nodes have to be written in an external text editor.

With either solution you define a number of rules/filters. How these rules would look like depends on how your content is organized.

If all your kids movies are located in a separate folder from your other movies, let's say "D:\Kids Movies\", you could use a "path starts with D:\Kids Movies" rule.

For a more generic rule that doesn't require the movies to be placed in a certain directory you could use the MPAA rating as the filter, "MPAA rating contains Rated G"

Other options, not quite as flexibel, would be to filter on certain genres, for example "Family", or filter on studio, for example "Disney"

I haven't tested if it's possible to have different Custom Video Nodes for different profiles, but if so, you could create a Kids profile which have the default video nodes edited to contain the same types of filters mentioned above. This way you wouldn't need to create custom home screen items and hope the kids can be trusted to only use those; instead the default Movies and TV-shows menu items would only show the filtered lists when using that profile.
Tags can be used to populate smart playlists, and custom video nodes are basically the same thing as smart playlists.