Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Using Artist.nfo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Eden

A few of the artists in my library are either misidentified or -- more problematically -- have multiple artists with the same name and the scraper can't distinguish between them. All of my music files have the proper tags for album artist.

I thought I could create an artist.nfo containing the correct info, save it in the artist folder, and that would fix everything. But XBMC refuses to recognize the information in the .nfo file and instead shows the incorrect data the scraper obtained.

Is there something I need to do in addition to the above? The page in the wiki doesn't say anything about additional steps.
We have this to begin with: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Imp...ry#Artists

The only step I think it misses (didn't read all the way through) is to delete and rescan the media into your library so then it can read the NFO and scrape from an outside source. Just make sure the NFO file name is an exact copy of what the artist is.
I'm not clear on what you mean by "delete". I don't see an option to remove a single artist from the library. Do you mean delete the artist folder? As in delete the artist folder, update the library, then re-add the folder and update the library once more? I don't see an option to remove a single artist from the library.
Don't use music myself in XBMC but is there not a "remove artist from library" button like in movies/TV?
Not that I've been able to find. I'll try my "solution" and see if it works. I don't have very many of these to correct, thankfully.
Not successful with deleting/re-adding the artist folder.
Remove the files from the library folder. (Cut it to another hardrive temporarily). Rescan - or clean - library. Will remoev artist. Then cut the folder back to teh location you want it to be scanned in. Update library, itll reset it. There should be a button though ideally to do all this in one go ie Rescan Artist to Library should be a button.
No Luck. After everything is cleaned and re-added, the info is blank for the artist. When I click to get artist info, it prompts me for the artist so it can search the Internet.
Success. I did something so dumb it's beyond embarrassing. I thought that "artist.nfo" meant you were supposed substitute the actual artist name in the filename, thus you would end up with Eric Clapton.nfo, The Beatles.nfo, etc. Once I simply used the "artist.nfo" everything worked.

Thanks to all.

Old saying: You can't make anything foolproof because fools are too ingenious.