Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: DD/DTS passthrough issues with recent nightly builds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First, my setup: 2011 Mac mini, i5, Intel HD3000 GPU, using optical audio out. MacOS X 10.8.2. Audio/Midi Setup is set to 2ch, 16-bit, 44.1KHz.

XBMC is configured with DD and DTS passthrough enabled and 2 channel layout.

With recent nightly builds of XBMC, playing any videos with DD or DTS and passthrough enabled, the audio doesn't work at all and the video stutters badly. The last build I tried that worked fine was from 2012/11/16, but I skipped a few days after that to the 11/25 build. So it was something in that time-frame that broke things for me.

A few possibly-related things to note:
  • In Settings, it keeps resetting the audio output device to AirPlay (from Built-in Output)
  • GUI sounds don't work at all
  • All 2 channel media (music and videos) work fine

Debug log is here.

Pertinent section of guisettings.xml:

Code:
<audiooutput>
    <ac3passthrough>false</ac3passthrough>
    <audiodevice>Built-in Output</audiodevice>
    <channels>1</channels>
    <dtspassthrough>false</dtspassthrough>
    <guisoundmode>1</guisoundmode>
    <mode>1</mode>
    <multichannellpcm>false</multichannellpcm>
    <normalizelevels>false</normalizelevels>
    <passthroughdevice>Default</passthroughdevice>
    <stereoupmix>false</stereoupmix>
</audiooutput>
Ensure that in your sound setup and audio midi setup the output device is set to optical (not airplay). As of what i can see there are no real errors there.
Audio/Midi Setup is set to Optical and so is XBMC; however, as I mentioned, XBMC keeps changing it back to AirPlay as soon as I leave Settings. Although, it never changes in guisettings.xml, so it may be just a GUI bug.

As for errors, there is this:

Code:
17:31:02 T:4743462912   DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuity - was:2100646.459333, should be:992000.000000, error:-1108646.459333
17:31:04 T:4743462912   ERROR: CDVDAudio::AddPacketsRenderer - timeout adding data to renderer
17:31:04 T:4743462912   ERROR: AddPackets - failed to add leftover bytes to render

Those occur right as there is a pause in the video.

Also, as noted, 2 channel audio is working fine (over optical), even for DD/DTS videos so long as passthrough is disabled.
should be fixed in next nightly.

Ensure to check your output device in the next version cause it was lost due to audio engine settings changes.
No worries, and thanks for looking into it!
Ok, I built XBMC with your fix and re-setup my audio settings. The video stuttering was gone (save for a bit at the beginning); but, there was still no audio. I then edited guisettings.xml by hand and changed:

Code:
<passthroughdevice>Default</passthroughdevice>

to:

Code:
<passthroughdevice>Built-in Output</passthroughdevice>

And now DD/DTS seems to work fine. I re-checked Audio/Midi Setup and it is set to the optical port. Sounds in OSX work as well.

However, there are still these two issues:
  • No GUI sounds at all, and
  • Reverts to AirPlay when I leave the Audio Output Settings screen

edit: I see 2171b56 probably fixes the AirPlay thing. Will re-build and let you know.
All good as of 2171b56. I set passthroughdevice back to Default and it still works, too.

As for the GUI sounds, apparently either my wife or my kids just changed it in the skin settings... so that works as well lol. Sorry for the false alarm there.

Thanks again!
glad this strangeness is sorted now.