Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Lock/disable XBMC volume control
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I try to lock/disable XBMC's volume settings.
Reason: In my home cinema setup volume is always regulated by the AV-Amp or the TV. XBMC should not tamper with it and always output the maximum level. However, all web interfaces, smartphone apps etc. for XBMC offer the user to regulate the media software's volume, so there are always situations in which my family breaks the setup by using different ways of controlling different volumes.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance!
i have no solution but would also love to find out how to do this
The easiest way would be to make keymaps (wiki) that disable any keys on a keyboard or remote that normally change the volume, since XBMC has no GUI for changing the volume.
Thanks for the good idea. Would mean disabling Volume up/down and Mute. I'll have a look at it - do you by chance have the corresponging entries at hand? It's always a bit difficult finding that out.

However, will this also affect Android- and Web-Apps, as those communicate via API?
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/tree/Eden/system/keymaps shows the default keymaps that XBMC uses by default. Find the keys that normally trigger volumeup, volumedown, and mute, and replace them with "noop" (which is for "no operation").

Smartphone and web apps won't be affected by this, though.
(2012-11-30, 17:04)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Smartphone and web apps won't be affected by this, though.

I was afraid this would be the case. Exactly this is my problem, however...

I tried with advancedsettings.xml entries:

Code:
<defaultvideosettings>
  <volumeamplification>0.000000</volumeamplification>
</defaultvideosettings>

This seems at least to disable the possibility to play around with the volume sliders in the audio "context GUI" during video playback.

I also entered the following code:

Code:
<audio>
  <mute>false</mute>
  <fvolumelevel>1.000000</fvolumelevel>
</audio>

However, I'm not yet quite sure which GUI setting I have locked with this entry.

EDIT: I was too optimistic. After a reboot, the volume sliders during video playback were usable again!?!