Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Why is ALT+F4 faster?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I run XBMC on a Pentium G640 with 2GB, Windows 7 32-bit
I am really curious to know why XBMC exits almost immediately when I press ALT+F4, but it takes it 10 seconds if I bring up the the shutdown menu and choose Exit. Huh
well, pulling the plug of your computer switches it off instantly, whereas a normal shutdown takes quite a bit longer Smile
That's like killing some one with a gun compared to let it live its normal life and die Wink
Yeah, well, I meant to ask: What is Exit doing that takes 10 seconds ?
(2012-11-29, 23:16)ilomambo Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, well, I meant to ask: What is Exit doing that takes 10 seconds ?

Closing every thing down like it should.....
(2012-11-29, 23:24)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-29, 23:16)ilomambo Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, well, I meant to ask: What is Exit doing that takes 10 seconds ?

Closing every thing down like it should.....

I have to tell you that I have not experienced any adverse effect so far, from exiting with ALT+F4. No crash log is generated and when I launch XBMC again, everything looks fine.
Let me point out some things:
1. I rarely exit XBMC, I usually go from XBMC to suspend (sleep) and resume loops.
2. If I exit, it is not in the middle of playing something, no streams, no videos, no music, just from idle state

Do you know of some specific risk in exiting with ALT+F4?
Because if it causes no damage to the DBs nor causes any other problem, then... you know what they say about the quacks and the ducks.
nobody of us would tell you that its safe to hit alt+f4 - else we wouldn't have added the code for properly shutting down all services and addons...
ALT-F4 is typically treated as WM_CLOSE.
If you are not cleaning up on ALT-F4, what are you doing when you get a WM_CLOSE from task manager. or WM_ENDSESSION from the session manager.
A logical exit command from a menu, and a WM_CLOSE and ALT-F4 and WM_ENDSESSION should all behave the same way, a clean close.
(2012-11-30, 00:52)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]nobody of us would tell you that its safe to hit alt+f4 - else we wouldn't have added the code for properly shutting down all services and addons...

That's actually a very very Inaccurate (and completely incorrect) statement..

An xbmc developer states on these very forums, that xbmc using alt f4 close command is "EXACTLY" the same as shutting it down!

There are posts on here about it (I'll come back and edit this with a link) where a guy had problems with xbmc crashing on shutdown.

He was told by a developer that alt+f4 was exactly the same as pressing close, and even described mapping a button to do altF4 job.

Ill update in a mo...
Edit: link to dev stating the exact opposite to what you guys say now?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...t=Shutdown
Its not what we say. Its what the op was determining. I didn't check his statement i just think he wouldn't lie about the behaviour.

So if Alt+F4 behaves different then quit - its definitly hitting different code. (you can check this in the xbmc.log btw).

The statement you linked to is more then 1,5 years old. There might be a regression/change/bug or whatever which changed alt+f4 catch - which really should lead to be carefully with statements like:

Quote:That's actually a very very Inaccurate (and completely incorrect) statement..

But i got your point and better leave your windows people alone...
Surly the same applies to your post then...

You said
(2012-11-30, 00:52)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]nobody of us would tell you that its safe to hit alt+f4 - else we wouldn't have added the code for properly shutting down all services and addons...
When a dev said exactly that, the dev said that alt f4 is exactly the same as pressing close, he said its perfectly safe...

But you say no body would ever say such a Thing?... Well.. I beg to differ... As It's written right there from a dev, in that post Undecided just Sayin... What you said was wrong, as a dev DID say that!

It was still a discussion about Eden, regardless how old it was? It's not like there's an eden patch been released for that to change for current Eden users and I can confirm that the shutdown bug does still exist as that poster in the thread I posted mentioned... Go figure huh!

(2012-11-30, 16:50)DerekCuster Wrote: [ -> ]Surly the same applies to your post then...

You said
When a dev said exactly that, the dev said that alt f4 is exactly the same as pressing close, he said its perfectly safe...

But you say no body would ever say such a Thing?... Well.. I beg to differ... As It's written right there from a dev, in that post Undecided just Sayin... What you said was wrong, as a dev DID say that!

It was still a discussion about Eden, regardless how old it was? It's not like there's an eden patch been released for that to change for current Eden users Smile

I'd still stand by my point that it isn't safe.
You have no idea what the XBMC is doing at that time even if you leave it alone. There are scripts running and database queries or whatever
Feel free to try and screw up your install with closing it.

Besides that why should you care about the 10 seconds.
imo this whole discussion is pointless to start with.

Perhaps,
Problem is xbmc sometimes crashes on exit (seems common when searched) solution was to use alt f4.

Devs say alt f4 does exactly the same as the close/shutdown button... Well... Except 1 Wink

It's a valid point the OP raises... If this dev says is dangerous and could screw up your system, and yet another active xbmc dev says its perfectly safe and uses the same protocol... Well.. Who do we believe? Who is right? No wonder users get confused in here with these polar opposite opinions, recommendations and instructions from the same team?

From my understanding I always thought alt f4 closed xbmc window and the process ran in the background tidying up (perfectly safe exit) and the shutdown/close button within xbmc started the same process but didn't clean/remove the xbmc window until the process had complete...

I was under the impression alt f4 allowed us to close it safely while it cleaned up in the background xbmc.exe process running in background... Either way, I would like clarification on this too...

You may think its a pointless discussion, but just because you think so, doesn't make it so.
Well, Martin, I don't know if I'd call it pointless.
I opened this post because I wanted to know what is XBMC during shutdown that takes so much time ( yes, in computer time 10 secs are an eternity, ask any electron)
And frankly all the answers given by team members remainds me of a joke about Microsoft and customer support, because they talk much about nothing, and no one gave a detailed actual answer :-)

Ps: has anyone ever, in the whole life of XBMC, reported a corruption of the system because of ALT+F4?
Yes there have been reports of improper shutdown having negative effects Smile
Pages: 1 2