Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Question about paths used in guisettings.xml
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
ronie,

I noticed that in guisettings.xml in my case <setting type="string" name="skin.transparency.Menu_Custom1.Icon"> is set to:

Code:
<setting type="string" name="skin.transparency.Menu_Custom1.Icon">~/Library/Application Support/XBMC/addons/plugin.video.the.trailers/icon.png</setting>

It seems that "~/Library/Application Support" can't be used for other fields such as <setting type="string" name="skin.transparency.Home_Custom_Back_Custom1_Folder">.

I would like to be able to use "~/Library/Application Support".

(2012-11-30, 17:23)winestock Wrote: [ -> ]It seems that "~/Library/Application Support" can't be used for other fields such as <setting type="string" name="skin.transparency.Home_Custom_Back_Custom1_Folder">.

why not? is it not possible to browse to this folder in xbmc?

(2012-11-30, 19:57)ronie Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-30, 17:23)winestock Wrote: [ -> ]It seems that "~/Library/Application Support" can't be used for other fields such as <setting type="string" name="skin.transparency.Home_Custom_Back_Custom1_Folder">.

why not? is it not possible to browse to this folder in xbmc?

Ronie,

When I go to browse to the folder, what ends up is not using "~/Library" but something like "/Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/". If I go manually change the entry and try to use "~/Library/Application Support/" and run XBMC, XBMC acts like the folder does not exist.
What is the problem, "/Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/" and "~/Library/Application Support/" are the same path.
(2012-11-30, 23:34)toiva Wrote: [ -> ]What is the problem, "/Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/" and "~/Library/Application Support/" are the same path.

I am trying to specify it generically as I share the XBMC on three different systems each having different users. I could resort to using a symbolic link if neccessary. I thought maybe I could use "~" instead of /Users/<user>"
Sharing guisettings sounds like a bad idea, even if the hardware setups are 100% identical, it's too easy to break every client.
If it's the same computer then it really shouldn't be an issue. guisettings.xml is fairly easy to recreate, too.