Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Question about XBMC on ML Hackintosh
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a Hackintosh running OS X 10.8.2 and the latest nightly of XBMC 12.

My setup is as follows:

I have XBMC installed on the Hackintosh.
In the network settings I check "Share video and music libraries through UPnP".
Our cable provider uses Arris Media Gateway/Player hardware as their set top boxes.
In the menu, any DLNA/UPnP server running on the network shows up.
I'm able to select a movie and watch,

HOWEVER...since upgrading to ML, no DLNA/UPnP media server on my Hackintosh is able to be seen. Not Plex, and not XBMC. I tested something and downgraded back to Lion, and everything was working perfectly. However I don't want to stay on Lion as i depend on features in Mountain Lion.

Now I've read that this has something to do with a change in the SMB server. So I've downloaded a program called SMB Up per recommended in some forum threads and my servers now are visible on the network. But now when I go to play a movie, it tells me that something is wrong with the server.

Is there an easy, no non-sense way to get this done so I can enjoy my movies again? I seriously hate not beng able to watch anything.
Unrelated to smb - you Need to ensure that xbmc is in the Same subnet as the stb and zeroconf is enabled in xbmc. Also ensure that no Firewall is blocking zeroconf / Bonjour Traffic.
I'm not sure if this will help, but I had an issue on my MBP (running ML) where it wouldn't see any UPnP servers on the network because EyeTV had some crappy UPnP server running in the background on the MBP. I would check to see if any UPnP server is running on your Hackintosh (lots of apps will throw them in there, like EyeTV and Vuze), or try seeing if it's another UPnP server on your network messing with things. I have no idea why EyeTV's UPnP server was preventing XBMC from seeing any UPnP server on the network, and it's even possible that it was just some really crazy coincidence, but it might be something to look at.
(2012-12-02, 13:18)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]Unrelated to smb - you Need to ensure that xbmc is in the Same subnet as the stb and zeroconf is enabled in xbmc. Also ensure that no Firewall is blocking zeroconf / Bonjour Traffic.

I'm sorry, but what does this mean exactly? I'm not up on these acronyms being used. And I have no firewalls on at all, so I'm 102% sure it's not that.
(2012-12-02, 14:47)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure if this will help, but I had an issue on my MBP (running ML) where it wouldn't see any UPnP servers on the network because EyeTV had some crappy UPnP server running in the background on the MBP. I would check to see if any UPnP server is running on your Hackintosh (lots of apps will throw them in there, like EyeTV and Vuze), or try seeing if it's another UPnP server on your network messing with things. I have no idea why EyeTV's UPnP server was preventing XBMC from seeing any UPnP server on the network, and it's even possible that it was just some really crazy coincidence, but it might be something to look at.

This is behavior off of a fresh install. No other servers to worry about at the moment. I've only installed Plex, and XBMC. None show on the network until I installed SMB Up. But now that they show up, nothing plays. I keep getting server errors or the player telling me that they're not in the correct format (which they're ALL in MP4 format with absolutely no corruptions).
To make this easier on people trying to help, here's anything and everything that I thought was immediately relavent about my system.

Now...what's going on lolHuh
Ok so as a last ditch effort I tried to find alternatives...

...and one called TVMobili seems to work 100%. The bad thing is that they want me to pay for streaming on MY OWN NETWORK.

What is TVMobili doing that others (XBMC, Plex, etc) aren't?
xbmc.log (wiki)