Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: adding unscraped single episode shows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been using xbmc for 4 years and thisis the first time i've wanted to tackle this issue. i've googled but found nothing on this surprisingly. my question is two prong:

- How do i add tv shows that haven't scraped correctly to the tv shows library list? This is useful for a lot of foreign shows that arent and will probably never be in thetvdb. I have a bunch of these and for years they have gone unadded in my library - id like to change that. I dont really care if theres no episode or show synopsis info. All i need is for the "TV SHOW NAME" to show up with a blank banner in the list, and each episode to be listed when i go into the show (even if its simply 1x01, 1x02, etc). I can then manually add a poster for the show. I know one way is to manually add these to thetvdb. but that would be very very time consuming. I know another is to create an nfo. But i'm not sure what goes into the nfo. Where to place it. Whether i need to create an nfo for each episode, or jsut one in each season folder?

- I have a lot of Shows from national geographic and discovery that are one of shows that either dont belong to a series, or are individual episodes from lots of different series. I'd like to have these in either a National geogrphic tv show item, or a "Documentaries" tv show listing. I've placed them all in one directory, and named them each individually. Is there a way for xbmc to just add these to a single "Documentary" listing in tv shows, with the name of the file being scanned in as the episode name. I read some threads from 2010 that this was a planned feature to be able to add unscraped tv shows and movies, but cant find any info on this.

thanks
  • You can create nfo files for these shows and episodes, supplied with your own information, and these will get scraped and added to your video library. See here for details: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Imp..._nfo_Files (don't let the title "Import-export library" dissuade you... just focus on the topics regarding nfo files).
  • If these specials are listed on thetvdb as "Specials" when you go to the web site via a browser, you may be able to scrape them by specifiying "S00" and the appropriate episode numbers in the filenames. Season 0 is deemed to be a special.
(2012-12-03, 21:03)artrafael Wrote: [ -> ]
  • You can create nfo files for these shows and episodes, supplied with your own information, and these will get scraped and added to your video library. See here for details: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Imp..._nfo_Files (don't let the title "Import-export library" dissuade you... just focus on the topics regarding nfo files).
  • If these specials are listed on thetvdb as "Specials" when you go to the web site via a browser, you may be able to scrape them by specifiying "S00" and the appropriate episode numbers in the filenames. Season 0 is deemed to be a special.

ok so i tried to go the nfo route but so far its taken up 2 hours, to experiment with 4 video files, and i've had no luck.

This is what I did.

Within my tv show source directory, created a directory called "Documentaries"

In this directory placed a file called tvshow.nfo. The contents of this nfo are as follows:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<tvshow>
    <title>Documentaries</title>

</tvshow>

I dont need synopsis etc, all i need is a Documentary TV show ite, and i can pick the art for it. which is why all i needed was the title tag.

When i rescanned, what this did was create a Blank entry right at the top of my tv shows list, with no title at all.

Then within my Documentaries I created separate directories for each video file as follows, with a video file and amtching nfo in each directory:

BBC Earth - 1x01
- BBC Earth - 1x01.m2ts
- BBC Earth - 1x01.nfo

Discovery - Ghengis Khan - Rise Of The Conqueror 2x01
- Discovery - Ghengis Khan - Rise Of The Conqueror 2x01.avi
- Discovery - Ghengis Khan - Rise Of The Conqueror 2x01.nfo

Discovery - NextWorld - Future Life On Earth 2x02
- Discovery - NextWorld - Future Life On Earth 2x02.avi
- Discovery - NextWorld - Future Life On Earth 2x02.nfo

Discovery - Ultimate Getaways - Bora Bora 2x03
- Discovery - Ultimate Getaways - Bora Bora 2x03.avi
- Discovery - Ultimate Getaways - Bora Bora 2x03.nfo

The contents of the 4 nfo files are as follows:
Code:
<episodedetails>
        <title>BBC Earth</title>
        <season>1</season>
        <episode>1</episode>

</episodedetails>

Code:
<episodedetails>
        <title>Ghengis Khan - Rise Of The Conqueror</title>
        <season>2</season>
        <episode>1</episode>

</episodedetails>

Code:
<episodedetails>
        <title>NextWorld - Future Life On Earth</title>
        <season>2</season>
        <episode>2</episode>

</episodedetails>

Code:
<episodedetails>
        <title>Ultimate Getaways - Bora Bora</title>
        <season>2</season>
        <episode>3</episode>

</episodedetails>

What gets created though within that empty main level blank tv show directory are 4 files:

1x01
1x01
1x02
1x03

I've also tried changing the directory structure so its:

Documentaries
- Season 1
-1x01 - BBC Earth.avi
-1x01 - BBC Earth.nfo
- Season 2
-2x01 - .....avi
-2x01 - .....nfo
-2x02 - ......

I've tried looking at the wiki agai nand again to see what else i can do but cant figure it out. any help?
Create a folder called TV Documentaries and place the video, nfo and tvshow.nfo files in it. Do not use separate subfolders for each show.

tvshow.nfo
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<tvshow>
    <title>TV Documentaries</title>
    <plot>Various TV documentaries, blah, blah, blah.</plot>
    <genre>Documentaries</genre>
</tvshow>

BBC Earth 0x1.nfo
Code:
<episodedetails>
  <title>BBC Earth</title>
  <season>0</season>
  <episode>1</episode>
  <plot>Whatever you want to say.</plot>
</episodedetails>

Discovery - Genghis Khan - Rise of the Conqueror 0x2.nfo
Code:
<episodedetails>
  <title>Discovery - Genghis Khan - Rise of the Conqueror</title>
  <season>0</season>
  <episode>2</episode>
</episodedetails>

Discovery - NextWorld - Future Life on Earth 0x3.nfo
Code:
<episodedetails>
  <title>Discovery - NextWorld - Future Life on Earth</title>
  <season>0</season>
  <episode>3</episode>
</episodedetails>

Discovery - Ultimate Getaways - Bora Bora 0x4.nfo
Code:
<episodedetails>
  <title>Discovery - Ultimate Getaways - Bora Bora</title>
  <season>0</season>
  <episode>4</episode>
</episodedetails>
  • Use season 0 for all the shows so they will be treated as "specials"
  • The video files must have the same names as the corresponding nfo files, but with the appropriate file extension (e.g., avi)
  • When you "Set content" on the "TV Documentaries" folder, be sure to enable the setting "Selected folder contains a single TV show"
  • I found that naming the folder simply as "Documentaries" made the scraper think it had something to do with The Beatles Documentaries. Using the name "TV Documentaries" avoided this confusion.
  • <plot> and <genre> are not required, but if you're going to add the shows to the library, you might as well take advantage of the capability to include additional descriptive information.