Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Few questions on new art work image controls and scraping
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I got a few questions I am hoping someone can clarify about the new image labels and their functionality. I tried the wiki, but I could not find these answers for the new functions.

I have a folder structure like so.

>30 Rock
--folder.jpg (poster)
--banner.jpg (banner)
--season01.tbn (poster)
--season02.tbn
>>Season 1
---folder.jpg (poster)

1. When doing a scan in Frodo will it recognize folder.jpg for tv shows and season01.tbn for season or will it pick new images based on the scrap? are these seasonxx.tbn & folder.jpg files obsolete and should be deleted?
2. I select prefer poster when doing a scrap, but when I extact my database I get banner.jpg and season01-banner.jpg along with poster.jpg and season01-poster.jpg. Is there anyway to not get the banner images to extract? Not sure why the banners would extract if I do not have them selected.
3. When using any listitem.art is their a default fallback image like listitem.icon or do you need to set some fallback="xxx" in the image control?
4. Unless I am wrong, XBMC does not allow you to choose your season image, so is the scraper just taking the first image available from the host site? On Frodo are we not able to put the season poster as an image on the episode level within views?
(2012-12-05, 03:28)ekim232 Wrote: [ -> ]I got a few questions I am hoping someone can clarify about the new image labels and their functionality. I tried the wiki, but I could not find these answers for the new functions.

I have a folder structure like so.

>30 Rock
--folder.jpg (poster)
--banner.jpg (banner)
--season01.tbn (poster)
--season02.tbn
>>Season 1
---folder.jpg (poster)

1. When doing a scan in Frodo will it recognize folder.jpg for tv shows and season01.tbn for season or will it pick new images based on the scrap? are these seasonxx.tbn & folder.jpg files obsolete and should be deleted?
2. I select prefer poster when doing a scrap, but when I extact my database I get banner.jpg and season01-banner.jpg along with poster.jpg and season01-poster.jpg. Is there anyway to not get the banner images to extract? Not sure why the banners would extract if I do not have them selected.
3. When using any listitem.art is their a default fallback image like listitem.icon or do you need to set some fallback="xxx" in the image control?
4. Unless I am wrong, XBMC does not allow you to choose your season image, so is the scraper just taking the first image available from the host site? On Frodo are we not able to put the season poster as an image on the episode level within views?

1. Images have been to changed to xx.jpg. Anything with .tbn has been deprecated, in regards to videos at least. You can safely delete all of those .tbn files.

2. XBMC will now auto-download banners and posters regardless of the preferred setting. This allows for more flexibility for skin makers.

3. It should fallback to ListItem.Icon. You can always override that with your own fallback image though.

4. To change the season image, press 'C' on the keyboard and select 'Get art'. I believe season art on the episode level was removed. You can still use ListItem.Art(TVshow.xx) which would be the parent TV show image. I think Container.SeasonThumb has been deprecated. Someone else will have to confirm.
1. Your files as they are will be read as-is.

* It is preferred that you name your folder.jpg "poster.jpg" should it actually be a poster to save XBMC having to read the image to figure it out.
* It is preferred that you name your season art "season01-poster.jpg" should it be a poster and/or "season01-banner.jpg" should it be a banner. You can have both if you wish.
* Your current ones will still be read (and assigned to poster or banner as appropriate) so no need to change anything if you don't want to.
* Note that folder.jpg at the season level is not (nor has it ever been) read for the library. It will be used when browsing your files though.

2. The setting basically does nothing as things currently are - it will be removed prior to Frodo final.

3. The situation is as follows:

ListItem.Art(thumb) Uses the "thumb" type if it exists. If not, will try "poster" type. If that doesn't exist will try "banner". If that doesn't exist will return empty.
ListItem.Art(anything_else) Uses the "anything_else" type if it exists, else will be empty.
ListItem.Icon: Same as ListItem.Art(thumb) except if ListItem.Art(thumb) is empty (or fails to load) it will fall back to the icon image (e.g. folder icon or video icon).

The recommendation is that you use a variable to use the image you want for a particular view (e.g. ListItem.Art(poster) if you'd prefer a poster is shown) if ListItem.Art(poster) is non-empty, otherwise use ListItem.Icon. See includes.xml in Confluence for example:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...es.xml#L23

4. See Sranshaft's response. As indicated there, there are various "parent level" artworks available. Season-level art is not one of these. tvshow.foo, where foo is an art type (poster, banner, fanart, thumb, etc.) are available at the episode or season levels. Further, artist.foo is available at the album level and song level.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Thanks a lot for your responses. It really helped with getting my new image structure together and not wasting time putting in improper image controls.
(2012-12-05, 04:45)Sranshaft Wrote: [ -> ]1. Images have been to changed to xx.jpg. Anything with .tbn has been deprecated, in regards to videos at least. You can safely delete all of those .tbn files.

For .strm files (music streams), .tbn files are the only thing that works for me in Gotham.