Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: jerky DVD playback with XBMC and Intel video
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I am on day three of trying to fix this and I have run out of things I know how to try or could look up on the web (and understand). Please help!

I am running Ubuntu 12.04 and XBMC on an old Macbook I want to use for movie watching and Youtube and so forth. At first I thought I had everything working nicely, as I could watch Hulu and Amazon and other streaming video without trouble. Then I tried to watch a DVD and the playback was terribly jerky. Sometimes it would clear up for a few seconds, but then it would start stuttering again, making the DVD unwatchable.

The odd thing is that the DVD plays fine if I log into Ubuntu and use the default DVD player! I have done some research and apparently the Intel video has some kind of problem with frame rates and refresh rates, but I've yet to find a solution that I can understand. Here is what I've tried so far:

* updated Intel drivers
* disabled laptop display
* turned all the normal DVD and video settings in XBMC on and off
* tried window mode
* tried using XBMCbuntu standalone (11 and beta1)
* changed resolution

The one thing I really haven't tried is making my own xorg.conf, as 12.04 says it doesn't use them and I have no idea how to make one that won't break everything. I have a very basic one now that enables SNA acceleration that came with the Intel driver update instructions, but that didn't help.

Can anyone give me a hand? I'm not a Linux expert or a multimedia expert. I just like XBMC and I think it would be great if I could use it. I know my hardware can handle this, because the DVD plays fine in Ubuntu and the MacOS.

Thanks!
Matt