Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC 12 doesn't block the Windows screensaver
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello everyone !

Unfortunately XBMC in version 12 (beta 2 and 3) can't block the Windows 7 screensaver on my computer. Which means while playing movie, the screensaver turn on. Of course I can change Windows settings and turn off the screensaver and turn off the display turn off, but doesn't solve the problem.
In previously version of XBMC (11) this problem doesn't occur.
Do you have 2 screens and xbmc doesn't have the focus when you are watching movies?
Thanks for your respond, but unfortunately I don't have 2 screens, so this solve doesn't fit Sad
Just so you're not the only one out.... I also experienced a screen blank in mid play. This is quite a recent B2 development, running B3 but haven't has the opportunity to observe this behaviour yet.
does switching the true fullscreen setting in system->system->video change anything?
This one has followed into B3, seems to be related to the XBMC add-on screensaver, I've tried to do a preview of the saver at the point XBMC lost it's brains, with no effect, clearly the XBMC code was compromised and a restart was needed. I've turned off the saver, and will edit this post, if it solves the issue.

Quote:does switching the true fullscreen setting in system->system->video change anything?
Checking the behavour of the saver is a long drawn out process... It doesn't happen for ~15-20 minutes into a video, so it will be one step at a time as I go about the the process of elimination over the next few days.

Have installed Frodo RC1 activated the screen saver, and enjoyed many hours of unblemished viewing, screen saver is functional and behaving.
Hope that's happy news all round, (drabina36) the fix seemed to be the update.
I have XBMC 12 RC 1 and have it full screen on monitor 2. My Windows 7 x64 screensaver is set to 5 minutes. Every time I play a video in XBMC, the Windows screensaver comes on after 5 minutes. The power options to turn off the display are also kicking in when XBMC is active.
(2012-12-20, 04:52)misohony Wrote: [ -> ]I have XBMC 12 RC 1 and have it full screen on monitor 2. My Windows 7 x64 screensaver is set to 5 minutes. Every time I play a video in XBMC, the Windows screensaver comes on after 5 minutes. The power options to turn off the display are also kicking in when XBMC is active.

Are you sure that XBMC is focused or is it possible that another application has gotten focus somehow (e.g. a popup of your antivirus software or something like that)? I had the exact same problem a few days ago but I wasn't able to reproduce it anymore.

In general I totally agree that the screensaver or power saving should never kick in if XBMC is playing a video. The logic was changed a while ago to let the windows screensaver/power saving kick in if XBMC is not focused because some plasma users are still afraid that their screens will be damaged if the screensaver doesn't jump in. IMO there should be a solution that satisfies both "parties" but the current situation is unsatisfactory (at least for me). I checked other media players like MPC-HC or VLC and here is how they handle screensavers:
  • when nothing is playing the windows screensaver kicks in independent of whether the player is focused or not
  • when a video is playing, the windows screensaver never kicks in independent of whether the player is focused or not
  • when a video is paused the windows screensaver kicks in when the player is not focused

I tried to reproduce the same behaviour in XBMC but didn't fully succeed yet. Everything works except that after having watched a video in XBMC, the windows screensaver never kicks in anymore. But I didn't have time to properly look into it yet.
XBMC doesn't have focus because EventGhost sends the remote events to the XBMC app, and often times I browse internet on primary monitor while wife is using XBMC.

I have been using NextPVR for 5 years and am considering using it only as the backend. Its screensaver support has always worked. Maybe ask sub how he implements it in his NextPVR.exe UI app.
The same thing happens for me in Frodo RC2. 2 screen setup, windows 7 x64. fullscreen window option selected. This was not an issue in Eden, even if XBMC wasn't the active window but did have something playing. I currently have the windows screensaver to kick in after 2 mins.

If I select true full screen, then the issue goes away, but I then cannot use the non-XBMC monitor.
This 'Windows screensaver interrupts XBMC during video playback' issue hit me also after I tried out 12.0 RC2 - it never happened with 11.0. The Windows 7 x64 screensaver (not the display power saving) interrupted whatever film is playing - most annoying! I was sure that there were no other apps that could grab focus.

From the suggestions above, I tried disabling "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" under Settings > Systems > video output, and this did the trick. But it does beg the question why it is enabled by default.
Found this post via Google so thought I'd post my issue/fix.

(2012-12-09, 23:38)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]does switching the true fullscreen setting in system->system->video change anything?

I'm on RC2 - As with mr-b changing this setting (disabling it) fixed the problem for me.
I know this may sound stupid but... Why don't you just deactivate windows screensaver since XBMC provides one? I just turn the second display to off when I'm not using it.
Because not everyone wants to change their settings every time they decide to run XBMC and maybe XBMC doesn't run full-time on that machine.

I'm probably affected by the same issue - my display turns off after a video has finished playing (it's set to 30 minutes in Windows) and I can't wake it up with the XBMC Remote or Yatse. I have to get out of the couch and actually move the mouse.
Ah...

But then again, a screensaver isn't really "essential" anymore, burn in are a thing of the past with modern LCD. We have cheapo hp LCD at works that run 24/7/365 without Screensavers.

Beside there is the good old power off button screensaver :-)

The big 1 second to power the screen back on won't impact your life that much.
Pages: 1 2