Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Frodo Beta freezing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, So far i have had a problem with Frodo Beta 1 and OpenELEC Intel 2.95.4 where I would get random crashes and major stuttering in movie playback. I am streaming movies via nfs from Ethernet to router to wireless N although i do not believe this to be an issue considering I never experienced this problem with Eden and that this happens to 700MB videos as well as 14GB videos. The Stuttering/Pauses can range from 1 minute to 10 minutes and sometimes it feels like a complete freeze. During these "Freezes" I cannot access to box through ssh, keyboard or lirc until it starts playing again, most times the audio will have a stutter sound which is also very annoying. 

I do not receive a buffer display of any sort and the cpu usage is very low, I have also noticed there is no cache with my nfs streams, is this normal? apart from the movies, I will also find that xbmc has frozen completely while sitting on the menu after a while which always results in a cold boot, I have set a shutdown timer to suspend but this never seems to happen either. 

Here is my log http://pastebin.com/rTb9QkVw and the problem seemed to happen around 12:34 mark, I have also noticed that my local time on openELEC corrects itself about 2 minutes after booting, is there a way i could fix this aswell? 
Hello, I've very similar issues here. Frodo latest updates, Arch linux. Freezing appears when playing TV (vdr) as well as videos of any quality.
For movies I'm using remote filesystem -sshfs- connected to xbmc from another linux box to be played. I dont find any issue with the network.

I'm using TV and PJ on separate X screens. Freezes are appearing on both screens.

I tried almost all possibilities concerning vsync, and other options in 'video playback' section.

Running on nvidia (gt9500). I noticed as well, that when I'm in console random freezes happen from time to time (1-2secs). Suspecting nvidia driver from incorrect screen detection in a way that it re-detects the screens after a while again and again, thus freezes might occur, though I have no proves for this.
Few days ago I noticed when i had opened nvidia-settings that my system freezes for while when the DFP device appears and dissappears.

local/libvdpau 0.5-1
local/nvidia 310.19-2
local/nvidia-utils 310.19-1
local/xbmc-git 20121211-1
local/libva-statging-git 20121106-1
local/libva-vdpau-driver 0.7.4-1

Thanks a lot for help
copy over the files to the machine and play them locally. If it works, its your network
In a way i was kinda hoping you were right, but nope same problem.
my TV (VDR via xbmc) freezes as well and there is no relation between that and my remote filesystem.

I'm trying now nouveau driver, besides it is using CPU at 100% no freezing occurs. I'm gonna try older nvidia driver.
Ohh n my graphics is intel with a sony bravia 720p tv
In my case I think the problem could be with screen frequency (Hz). Maybe something has changed recently in XBMC code, but until now I had no issue with this.

when I run my TV and movies in other applications than xbmc all works fine. ;(
Zelluar,
I made some changes to my xbmc and xorg, more specifically it was regarding refreshrates and few settings in xorg.conf.

checkout advancedsettings.xml section on xbmc site and play with it a little bit. Look at adjustrefreshrate tag. I think the rates were not given properly from to devices thus glitches/drops came.

So far it works for me, no glitches anymore. I tested TV and 720p video on both TV and my projector and both went smooth.

If you want to see my configs let me know.
Of course, testing is not over, but I'm very happy with it, now. Hopefully it will remain working for more than one hour. Wink

Kk so im taking a shot in the dark and just set fps to 23.976 and refresh to 60.0, i also noticed in the system menu that refresh was 60.2. Now im just waiting to see if it happens again as i cant manually reproduce the stutter. If u feel there should be another setting change etc. then plz let me know
Ok, so it turns out those settings didn't actually work. So if you can, please post your config so i can trial it a bit more, thanks
Hi Zelluar,

If you have problems with refresharates (which I'm not sure about), you can better understand how it works here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70068
This is still an issue and I do hope the final release fixes this.., I am running Intel celeron 857 sandy bridge with Intel hd graphics and ssd drive.., I have tried 2 kinds off TV's and the problem still persists.., I had just installed Eden back on and I am yet to experience freezing, and both in menu and video playback...