Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Solved] Laptop will not output via HDMI to TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I am brand new to using linux and XBMC. Today I installed XBMCbuntu onto an old laptop of mine. The installation seemed to go okay and I was able to import movies from my desktop rather easily. The movies are playing and I have it set up with the remote and am quite happy with the way it is working.

However,

When i plug my laptop into the TV via HDMI it does not output to the TV.

Things I have tried:

Using the hardware keys to change the display ; Does nothing.
Using the hardware keys to disable the LCD display ; Turns the LCD display off but still the computer does nothing.

Things I am unsure about:

When reading the different solutions online it is my understanding that they are in the basic XBMC user interface and hit CRTL ALT F1 to take them to the command line or atleast that is what i have been doing.

I tried the xrandr -q command there however it returns "Cannot open Display."

When i try xrandr -d :0 -q it returns all the different LCD resolutions with the Framerates beside and does not list the displays below that. I am wondering if they would be displayed above that however I either don't know how or you can't scroll up in the command line that I am in.

I also tried

sudo service xbmc-live stop
"xbmc-live cannot be found" or something to that effect

sudo xorg -configure

"command xorg does not exist"

I would really like to be able to set my laptop up to a TV via HDMI. If you guys need any more information to help me please let me know. This is quite frustrating to me as I normally can figure out things on my own.
Hey guys, just thought I'd let you know how I solved this issue.

I donwloaded a copy of XBMCbuntu with the drivers pre installed from http://www.xbmcfreak.nl

I am still unable to get the audio to play over HDMI but it doesn't matter that much as i use an optical cable, which does work.

Anyways great job with this software, it is much appreciated and I'm glad i got it working.

Thanks,
Brimon