Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: AMD FM2 A6-5400k - Linux Build Advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Ive been a long time reader/follower of XBMC actually since XBMP, this is my first post.

I recently bought and new MCE PC (specs below) with the intention of running Linux, with the intention of using VAAPI or XVBA to provide gpu acceleration. I understand that XVBA to be the future and know that it doesnt support Some of the newer HD audio formats, currently inst included in XBMC mainline.

1 Antec NSK2480B with 380W PSU
1 Corsair CMV4GX3M2A1333C9 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3
1 Lite-On IHAS124 24X DVDRW OEM
1 Western Digital WD Green 3TB WD30EZRX
1 Samsung 830 Series 64GB SSD Retail Box
1 Leadtek WinFast DTV2000DS Plus Dual HD Tuner
1 AMD A6 5400K 2-Core Processor
1 ASRock FM2A75-PRO4-M Motherboard

2 channel audio over HDMI is sufficient.
file compatibility is important. (mostly SD content)
reliability is important

With the above in mind for a reliable system am i better off going with the mainline and using VAAPI, or goto a XVBA enabled XBMC build?

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Regards,
trip5ter

I am using XVBA for the past 7 - 10 days and I have found the latest RC as stable as ever.

Thats not on ATI though (I personally have never liked ATI and Linux, their drivers urgh) but on my box its just as solid.

I intend to rebuild it once Frodo hits final and then leave it alone unless their are some major updates.
who's repository are you using for your XVBA build?

I've been building from source

https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc

Or use xvba ppa (only xvba ppa that I know of) and is built from Fernetmenta's branch.

top link my signature. Wink'

uNi
Have you considered OpenElec?

I'm running an a6-5400K / FM2 with the most current Beta (Beta5) and have been running nightlies for weeks. It's been rock solid with XVBA.

I am similar to your needs - straight to Sammy over HDMI using monitor speakers.

Thanks everyone -

I have a requirement for a web browser, i was going to run xbuntu desktop, keeping the window manager. Ill give the xvba-ppa a shot....

meh actually ill try both Smile

Cheers
trip5ter

Xubuntu 12.10 required. Luv it. I did that build on that cpu . You need the new12.10 kernel 3.5 for trinity. Else no HDMI audio support. Use with wsnipex xvba ppa.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996
Ati drivers from quantal repo work great. Reliable MCE remote resume is not yet resolved but all else is great on frodo/quantal. Good luck. G