Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Vertical text and screen clipping
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've come across a very odd bug(?) that I not sure anyone has come across as vertical text (labels set with <angle>-90-</angle>) isn't widely used but it's having some quite strange effects when the group the label is contained within is partially off screen. Essentially the text scrolls into view as the group comes on screen.

I've made a small video that illustrates this issue. I apologize in advanced for the horrible frame rate. Camstudio would be better off using a potato to record at times it seems.

Video here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3687220/Immersi...058_46.avi

If any developers would like to see the issue in action, it's available here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3687220/Immersi...ersive.zip. Set "Use alternate tile menu" in the System > Skin settings > Home section.

Here's a screenshot of the clipping I'm talking about. You'll notice on the left "Music" should not be drawn anymore although it is and on the right "Other" is clipped in half although it should not be.

Again, I apologize for the video but the issue is noticeable in it. Hopefully the screenshot is enough to illustrate the problem. I'll try to get a better screen capture of it in case it's needed. Also, as can be seen, the vertical text s drawn over the the area clipping should occur. The vertical text continues to be drawn all the way to the left of the screen while the tile is clipped as per expected.

Any thoughts from the devs on this? Possible fix for this perhaps? Like the scrollbar issue I have in another thread, it's not end of the world stuff but it does detract from the overall polish I'm trying to achieve with this skin. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
This is known - it happens because we have no idea that the text is rotated when computing the size (as it's applied during an animation at render-time).

Music is rendered there because if it wasn't rotated it would not be clipped. Exact same reason that the other one is clipped.

I'm not sure if it will make a difference if the rotation is done via an animation rather than via the <angle> tag. I suspect not, but it's worth testing (one applies the animation internally, the other applies it at the control level).
Same problem with animations.
Yeah, it's because the clipped region is applied before the animation in either case. The text on the right should appear longer and longer as it scrolls in as the unrotated text gets less and less cut off.
@jmarshall: Is there any benefits to calculating size before animations rather than after? Is there anything that can be done to fix this issue?