Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Solved] How to boot XBMCbuntu ISO from Grub2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I tried different setting but couldn't sucedd to boot XBMCbuntu EDEN ISO with Grub2

Here's my custom entry :

Code:
menuentry "XBMCbuntu Test" {
    insmod loopback
    insmod iso9660
    set isofile="/xbmcbuntu-11.0.iso"
    search -sf $isofile
    loopback loop $isofile
    echo 'Chargement du noyau ...'
    linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz locale=fr_FR bootkbd=fr console-setup/layoutcode=fr iso-scan/filename=$isofile boot=casper file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed live-media-path=/casper/ noprompt quiet splash --
    echo 'Chargement du disque mémoire initial ...'
    initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
}

When I launch the entry, XBMCbuntu start to launch then writin many times "Can't open /dev/sr0: no medium found".
After some times I'm in Busybox with the message "(initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system.

I'm on Ubuntu 12.10
My kernel is 3.5.0-19-generic
The ISO is on my HD.

So how to boot XBMCbuntu ISO with Grub2 please ?

Thanks
I would unpack the ISO and get the directories "casper" and ".disk", way easier.
I'm not saying it does not work, just telling you how I boot mine...
(For information, it's working with Ubuntu 12.10)

Ok could you explain me how you do ?

What exactly are you trying to do? Not quite clear from your question. Do you want to test-drive XBMCbuntu, or install it somewhere and dual-boot?
If you want to try out XBMC ubuntu, create live USB and boot with it. Have look here: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/. I suppose you are doing this from windows OS. On Linux distros you have unetbootin as tool, Ubuntu has its own USB creator. Since XBMCuntu is more or less custom ubuntu, this should do the work too. Other option is record the cd and boot it directly. No matter what you, you have to go to BIOS first and select the media you want to, to be the first to boot. Some BIOS chips will pop up a menu and ask you what to boot, some will take you to general settings.
You have the options to install the distro to a hard disc(will replace your current OS on this drive, BEWARE), and even install it on USB. Then grub will find it and should pop up the usb with the XBMC installation.
PS Read your question till the end SmileSmileSmile Why dont you just install XBMC over Ubuntu? No profit to install it somewhere else. If you insist, you can install it on different drive, but DON'T overwritre your grub entry. Smile
I'm on Ubuntu. XBMC under Ubuntu is too slow to decode my 1080p. I can read them with the live CD.

I'd like to boot the ISO from my only one harddrive.

I start to try lcapriotti way but didn't succeed. I'd be please to see how he does.

The goal is to have no change to my system to save "admin" time.

Would it be possible to install it on the same hard drive as my Ubuntu ?

Why not USB ? Because my plan is to migrate to SSD.
Also with ISO in RAM no useless writing to SSD.
You can install on the same hard-drive, but you should split the drive into at least two parts. i think this is the best option for ypu. You can split the drive with gparted, available on most live linux usb. You MUST boot via live usb when splitting.
1. You better BACKUP your drive before doing anything. Clonezilla is another live usb distro which does a splendid job at backups.
2. Split the drive into two parts via live USB (Ubuntu usb??)
3. Install XBMCbuntu on your second partition. Do not install grub if you can. (Even if you do install it, you will most probably have no problems except that te pc will boot into XBMC, not Ubuntu. ) You can re-install grub if you have any problems, and nothing should be lost, but please, backup Smile
4. You are ready to go Smile

Something else to try - install XBMC on usb - usually, usb are listed as hard-drives, select the usb as media for install. Logn into ubuntu with another desktop manager - unity 2d if still available on 12.10, or log into XBMC directly. to do so - log out from ubuntu, click the small ubuntu icon next to your name ,and selecet what you want Smile
Hi

Thanks both of you for your reply.

With the way of lcapriotti I understood what was wrong in my grub entry. To boot from ISO from HD, root=/dev/ram0 is needeed in vmlinuz line.

And to get my settings when booting from HD :

I boot XBMCbuntu,
made my settings,
copy guisettings.xml from profil directory to USB stick

Mount ISO
Copy ISO to a directory
Mount filesystem.squashfs
Copy filesystem.squashfs to a directory
Create directory userdata in /etc/skel/.xbmc/
Copy guisesettings.xml from USB-stick to userdata direcotry
Rebuild filesystem.squashfs

And now it's booting from HD with personnal settings.