Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Am I ready?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have a Google Nexus 7 and a Nexus 10. The Nexus 10 got successfully rooted last night. Now that it's rooted, is that all I needed to do to prep the device for running the Android RC1?
Seriously?
Yes, seriously. I am totally new to Android.
All you really needed to do was go to the download page and install it...no root needed.
I thought rooting allowed you to install non-play store apps. I don't see a download page for Android, it just downloads an ".APK" file. I don't see a download page nor any wiki instructions for installing the Android version. Do I just copy the APK file to somewhere on my device to make the app available?
(2012-12-14, 21:20)patseguin Wrote: [ -> ]I thought rooting allowed you to install non-play store apps. I don't see a download page for Android, it just downloads an ".APK" file. I don't see a download page nor any wiki instructions for installing the Android version. Do I just copy the APK file to somewhere on my device to make the app available?

The internet is full with help on installing APK files.......
It is referring to side-loading. Just put the apk on your device and use a file manager to browse to it and install it. There is a setting within android you have to specificy to allow this, but it will prompt you if you attempt to install an apk file the first time.
Copy the .apk to your device or sd card and then browse using a file manager on your device, Using something like astro file manager find the .apk and select install.

You may need to enable install from unknown sources from the application menu on your phone/tablet.

Matt
(2012-12-14, 21:22)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-14, 21:20)patseguin Wrote: [ -> ]I thought rooting allowed you to install non-play store apps. I don't see a download page for Android, it just downloads an ".APK" file. I don't see a download page nor any wiki instructions for installing the Android version. Do I just copy the APK file to somewhere on my device to make the app available?

I thought there would be an installation guide here. I'll Google installing APK files when I get home, thanks!
(2012-12-14, 21:24)patseguin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-14, 21:22)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]

I thought there would be an installation guide here. I'll Google installing APK files when I get home, thanks!

as above

Matt
I found some info and it's not entirely easy to install an APK. You have to install the Android SDK, driver, and install the file via command line. I'll probably do it because I am dying to try it.
(2012-12-14, 22:44)patseguin Wrote: [ -> ]I found some info and it's not entirely easy to install an APK. You have to install the Android SDK, driver, and install the file via command line. I'll probably do it because I am dying to try it.

I aint being funny but ive just posted instructions to install the xbmc.apk.

Just follow them

Matt
(2012-12-14, 22:44)patseguin Wrote: [ -> ]I found some info and it's not entirely easy to install an APK. You have to install the Android SDK, driver, and install the file via command line. I'll probably do it because I am dying to try it.

Huh? It's much more simple than that. In fact you can even download the apk directly onto your phone/tablet. You are making it harder than it is.

Think of an apk as the equivalent to an exe on windows.

I already mentioned sideloading. Look it up on any android site for an explanation.
Im gonna answer the title of this thread and say........

no
Pages: 1 2 3