Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Disable opensquarebracket "[" and closesquarebracket "]" in keyboard.xml
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to disable opensquarebracket "[" and closesquarebracket "]" from executing BigStepForward and BigStepBack, respectively. Using the attached code within my keyboard.xml doesn't seem to have any effect. I can noop other keymaps successfully, but these two are persisting. Any ideas?

<keymap>
<global>
<keyboard>
<opensquarebracket>noop</opensquarebracket>
<closesquarebracket>noop</closesquarebracket>
</keyboard>
</global>
</keymap>
Ok, I found a solution. Apparently these keymaps belong under <FullscreenVideo> instead of <global>. They also exist under <VideoMenu>. Not sure what <VideoMenu> governs. The code below resolved the problem.

<keymap>
<FullscreenVideo>
<keyboard>
</keyboard>
</FullscreenVideo>
</keymap>
The reason is because in the installation keyboard.xml, <opensquarebracket> and <closesquarebracket> are mapped to the BigStepForward and BigStepBack actions in the <FullscreenVideo> and <VideoMenu> stanzas of the file. Your user keyboard.xml file mapped these keys to noop in the <global> stanza. The global definitions are in effect everywhere unless overridden by definitions in specific XBMC areas (e.g., FullscreenVideo and VideoMenu). Since you don't have override definitions for these two keys in the <FullscreenVideo> and <VideoMenu> stanzas of your keyboard.xml, the ones from the installation keyboard.xml apply.

You'll need to do this in your user keyboard.xml:
Code:
<keymap>
  <FullscreenVideo>
    <keyboard>
    </keyboard>
  </FullscreenVideo>
  <VideoMenu>
    <keyboard>
    </keyboard>
  </VideoMenu>
</keymap>

You beat me to it! Smile Glad you figured it out.
Good stuff to know. Thanks for the reply.