Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: VAAPI Support - Intel HD - Video playback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi folks,

Systemspecs: see my sig.
(XBMC Eden; Frodo not checked, waiting for final release)

I installed (latest by ubuntu 12.04.01 LTS provided)

libva-intel-vaapi-driver & i965-va-driver

(btw. both packages are described as "VAAPI driver for Intel G45 & HD Graphics family" - what's the difference ? They don't even depend on each other ..)

I discovered, when activating VAAPI support in XBMCs control center

1. Video/PVR: deinterlace method are set to "auto" and not changeable - and not working; when vaapi support is deactivated I can choose various good working algorithms like bob
2. Video/PVR: stutters
3. XBMC Gui stutters

what works better

Blurays through libaacs stutter less. (free 1080p material is playable without vaapi support)
Other algorithms than bilinear for upscaling the picture like lanczos2 work flawlessly.

Bottom line

If vaapi hardware acceleration is deactivated the system runs fine.

With vaapi hardware acceleration - the system slows down. CPU's usage is at same or even higher level than without vaapi. (HDTV about 50 % core 1, 25 % core 2 without vaapi, with vaapi 10-20 percentage points higher)

Greetz

LastCoder

use Frodo...
the version you installed (Eden from ubuntu repos) is broken in multiple ways. Also for vaapi deinterlacing you need cutting edge intel gfx + vaapi drivers(not even in ubuntu 12.10 by default)
Hi,

I installed Eden from pulseeight repos 'cause of pvr support (yeah, you know, long time ago XBMC didn't support PVR ;-).

Can someone confirm that Frodo has better vaapi support ?

Since deinterlacing works without vaapi I'm not sure if it makes any sense, that deinterlacing with vaapi requires cutting edge gfx power ..

Do you mean with vaapi drivers the mentioned libva-intel-vaapi-driver & i965-va-driver or what else ?

Btw: your sig - is xvba support now part of Frodo ? Is it stable and as good as vdpau support ?

Greetz

LastCoder
I mean deinterlacing in intels GFX hardware needs cutting edge drivers (xserver-xorg-video-intel, libva-intel-vaapi-driver). Without vaapi, deinterlacing is done in software.
i965-va-driver is an old meta package and does nothing else but install libva-intel-vaapi-driver

Its not absolutely normal that you see higher CPU usage with vaapi enabled, there might be something else wrong there.
Anyway, I doubt that anyone is going to even look at Eden anymore, while Frodo is almost final.

regarding Xvba: Its not yet in mainline, but its pretty stable and has a lot of happy users.
Hi,

thanks for clarification ! (btw. I'm really impressed about the power of XBMC and integrated Intel HD graphics [here just "HD graphics", entry level ;-)] under linux .. works out of the box and nearly every task works flawlessly, even multitasking with HD LiveTV & background video encoding with handbrake ..)

Ok, I'll wait for Frodo final and test it again for report !

@xvba: sounds good .. aren't AMD/ATI gfx are supported by vaapi too ? Are there any advantages vaapi vs xvba for AMD gfx ?

Greetz

LastCoder

is it possible to update xbmcbuntu (eden) to the latest intel drivers? I tried to install frodo but the system hanged so I went back to eden.
Vaapi for AMD is just a wrapper for Xvba and its broken is so many ways that its mostly useless.
@LastCoder

What cpu do you have exactly?
Does 1080i@50Hz deinterlacing also work without vaapi?
I never succeeded getting 1080p@50Hz deinterlacing to work on CPU power only...

VAAPI support in Eden works just fine, although, as stated, not for deinterlacing unless you follow this route. For VAAPI to work with supported codecs in a stock XBMCbuntu install you need to install libva-intel-vaapi-driver, vainfo, and gtk2-engines-pixbuf. Vainfo is not mandatory, but it will tell you what's supported by your IGP for acceleration.
(2012-12-17, 18:33)basco Wrote: [ -> ]@LastCoder
What cpu do you have exactly?
Does 1080i@50Hz deinterlacing also work without vaapi?
I never succeeded getting 1080p@50Hz deinterlacing to work on CPU power only...

Celeron G530 (2x 2,4 GHz)
http://ark.intel.com/products/53414/Inte...e-2_40-GHz

deinterlacing works flawlessly without vaapi/vdpau in all resolutions, cpu workload around 50% (core 1) / 20 % (core 2) while watching hd material, but only with methods "bob" and upscaling method "bilinear".

Greetz

LastCoder
was trying to install the intel drivers with this command
sudo apt-get install libva-intel-vaapi-driver vainfo gtk2-engines-pixbuf
but i am getting the following error:
E: Unable to locate package libva-intel-vaapi-driver
Do I have the command wrong? Is it worth installing it on a sandybridge i3 with hd3000 graphics or waiting for stable frodo? Does it require customisation? thanks
What your looking for is

Code:
sudo apt-get install libva1

uNi
thanks again Uni :]
Your very welcome Big Grin

uNi
Actually I had it installed already.
After I installed xbmcbuntu I ran apt-get update && apt-get upgrade this must of done it?
anyways great its working! not that I would of been able to tell Big Grin
thanks!
Pages: 1 2