Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Noise/crackling sound coming from TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

I've been reading about XBMC for the last couple of weeks, and last friday, I decided to take the plunge and start using it. To do so, I bought an Asrock ION 3D 152D nettop. I installed XBMCbuntu yesterday evening and started playing around with it.

Currently, I am running into a couple of problems:

1. I can't seem to get my network sources (samba shares) to scape automatically. Sure, I can get the system to scrape a specific movie, but thats manually. I want to have it done automatically. When I add a source, it asks me whether the location contains movies or TV shows. I set this correctly. For movies, nothing happens. For TV Shows, the system says that it is scanning something, however, checking the media library after, nothing seems to have happened.

When I do it manually, it works fine and fast, but since I have something like 600 movies stored, and dozens of TV shows, I don't want to have to do it manually. How to solve this?

2. Audio output. I am able to playback all the files that I have. Now, since I am still configuring the system, I decided to hook it up to my tv in the bedroom for the time being. Later on, I will move it downstairs to my tv there, and hook it up to a Denon receiver (via HDMI) but for now...the TV. Since the TV only has 2 speakers, I set it up to 2.0. Audio output set to HDMI -> Panasonic (system recognizes my tv apparently). However, using these settings, I get the most awful noise coming from the TV. Since I am not native English speaking, I'm having trouble describing it, but it is like a constant static noise coming from the TV. I have tried several .mkv files, and they all have this problem. I'm not sure what the audiostream is, but I'm pretty sure they do NOT contain DTS-HD audio streams. So, it's just DD or DTS. How to solve this?

I hope someone can help me. I've been going through the settings over and over again. I am using the XBMC 12 (Frodo) RC 1 build.
For the audio issue - It sounds like you still have the option selected for "DTS capable receiver", and your TV cannot handle it. Unchecking that will let XBMC downmix the audio.

(2012-12-17, 16:29)sdsnyr94 Wrote: [ -> ]For the audio issue - It sounds like you still have the option selected for "DTS capable receiver", and your TV cannot handle it. Unchecking that will let XBMC downmix the audio.

Could that be it? I can remember that I saw (can not check right now - at work) a lot of those options checked. DTS, DTS-HD and so on were checked. I did not check/uncheck any of them, it was set like that default. I assume, that once I have the box completely up and running, and I move it downstairs to connect it to my Denon receiver, I should check all of those options?
(2012-12-17, 16:53)Sentinel Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-17, 16:29)sdsnyr94 Wrote: [ -> ]For the audio issue - It sounds like you still have the option selected for "DTS capable receiver", and your TV cannot handle it. Unchecking that will let XBMC downmix the audio.

Could that be it? I can remember that I saw (can not check right now - at work) a lot of those options checked. DTS, DTS-HD and so on were checked. I did not check/uncheck any of them, it was set like that default. I assume, that once I have the box completely up and running, and I move it downstairs to connect it to my Denon receiver, I should check all of those options?

Yes, once you have it connected to your receiver, you want to turn those back on... as long as your receiver supports those formats.
(2012-12-17, 17:29)sdsnyr94 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-17, 16:53)Sentinel Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes, once you have it connected to your receiver, you want to turn those back on... as long as your receiver supports those formats.

This was not the cause of the issue. The issue was that I had output set to HDMI (at the top of the page). The other 2 options I kept playing with had 8 and 4 possible settings, which makes 32 possible combinations.

I tried all of them, and whenever it had to do with HDMI, the crackling noise came up. All the other options had no crackling sound, but no regular sound either. I almost gave up when I changed the top option from HDMI to Digital (I think). Then, I reset the other 2 options 2 HDMI and now I have correct sound in every file I play.

Next to that, automated scan of shares is also working, so all the problems I've been having so far are solved! Smile