Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Live TV doesn't work on Openelec [tvheadend server]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
XBMC 12.1 is out, let's see if anything changes.
Raspbmc 12.1 update is out, has anyone tested it yet? It's a nightly build right now.
I'm not at home today, so can't test myself.
I'll save you the bother, no one has found the answer to THE problem (if they had I'd probably know as I was involved in looking into it).

We are pretty certain that:

1. The 1088v1080 issue is unlikely to be THE issue. Though we'll be able to double checked when a working solution can be found.
2. The i-frame stuff is unlikely to be THE issue. Though we'll be able to double check when a working solution can be found.

The reasons I say this is that I have my TVH server configured for timeshift, doing this enforces and i-frame on start. Also the broadcom guys are pretty sure the hardware will be fine. And I have hacked my pvr.hts addon to change 1088 to 1080. I had one success the first time I did this, good luck, but it never happened again.

What we're fairly sure is a (and probably THE) problem is a combination of buffering, timing and clock control. Thus using the proxy is probably acting as a very bloated version of usleep(), i.e. it shifts the timing slightly. Some people see a benefit, others do not (because of the random nature of timing related problems).

unfortunately the main issue has been time to work on the problem, it requires a combined effort of a few different people (prob including myself) and we've all been struggling for time of late.

Adam
Sorry to go back a bit Wink

First, thanks very much for all the hard work ( and especially time ) that people are putting into this project - much appreciated.

In the meantime Smile, has ANYBODY got an earlier build that is actually working?

From my reading it appears there were some builds in which live tv did work correctly?

Whilst good people are finding time to look at the recent problem, would anybody like to share details of a build ( including tvh build number) that can be used successfully whilst debugging is going onSmile

Also as an aside, if there is a working build might we glean some info by comparing it with the recent builds? - I know thats a bit of noobie logic, but I'll throw it in anyway!

pootler
I have the latest OpenElec (2.99.5)and the live-tv is working for me, no proxy, no extra set-up, and it wasn't working before the update. So something has changed even if unintentionally.

However the first channel tuned to doesn't work, and if I leave it on that channel the Rasp-Pi eventually crashes, but if I change the channel it changes correctly after ~3-5s which is more than usable compared to the alternative Smile
Also seems to be detecting more of our channels (NZ Freeview) as the correct aspect ratio, just one of the channels now needs to be scaled.
That is strange Psik!

I have exactly the same situation BUT with version 2.9.9.4!

Updating (manually) to 2.9.9.5 goes back to the random black screen.

I do note that the TVH versions are different though? - so for the moment I am going back to 2.9.9.4 because at least as you say the error is consistent!

pootler
Please test my last custom build with many PVR fixes for Rpi.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1376510
I've been using rbej's builds (not the latest one yet but two previous) with Mediaportal PVR addon and that's been working reliably for the last few days. I've recently switched from NFSBoot to System on SD and Storage on USB, so that might have helped as I don't think it was working very well when I was using NFSBoot but that might have just been a coincidence as I tend to update to rbej's latest build quite regularly.
(2013-03-23, 00:50)Psik Wrote: [ -> ]I have the latest OpenElec (2.99.5)and the live-tv is working for me, no proxy, no extra set-up, and it wasn't working before the update. So something has changed even if unintentionally.

I think you have SD channels only, they generally work (but not very well). Can you confirm HD (1080i)/ h.264 - mpeg4 (not mpeg2) work in your case?
(2013-03-24, 23:57)giaur Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-03-23, 00:50)Psik Wrote: [ -> ]I have the latest OpenElec (2.99.5)and the live-tv is working for me, no proxy, no extra set-up, and it wasn't working before the update. So something has changed even if unintentionally.

I think you have SD channels only, they generally works (but not very well). Can you confirm HD (1080i)/ h.264 - mpeg4 (not mpeg2) works in your case?

I installed rbej lastest custom build and it is definately better than before. I can watch a 1080i/h.264 broadcast on two channels ( one doesnt work for some reason ). SD channels work except the aspect ratio is all wrong. It can take two goes to actually get sound&picture thou but to me thats a good step forward. If the aspect ratio was OK it would be usable.
rbej build is the first one which actually seem to work.
Do you have your changes somewhere on github or anywhere else?

The aspect ratio is wrong on sd but can be changed afaik per channel.
Looks like this is mostly including the work from popcornmix that I've been looking at also, but been struggling for time.

Doesn't fix the problems, as already known (and stated), though it may change the performance and it does improve some things. Certainly some of you might start to see crashes on HD channels as the shift in where things go wrong is slightly different.

I tested rbej's builds myself last night (just in case there was some magic fix in there) and the results were:

Test 1. BBC One HD - OK (but then I got that started with my latest build occasionally anyway)
Test 2. ITV1 HD - FAIL, black screen same buffering/clock issues we've been seeing for ages.
Test 3. Channel 4 HD - CRASH. Hard locked device needed power cycling. Similar to I've seen on a lot of testing due to buffer management issues.

So looks like we've still got a way to go to get omxplayer working properly. Though I accept some people may see different performance, particularly those with 512M versions? (More RAM to buffer might give a better chance of success in overcoming the issues, but I'm theorising).

Adam
I should clarify I'm only using SD channels with the Mediaportal addon and rbej's build but it's totally reliable so far.

The only issue for me is the aspect ratio and I don't really want to force it and Save as Default for all Videos as that will affect non-TV video. I'm not sure it can be changed per channel as if I don't Save as Default I don't think it's stored is it? Channel change is pretty slow as well, which is partly due to it not being amazingly fast on the PC but the Pi adds a few extra seconds too.
Thanks very much for info on recent ''working'' builds.

Sorry but I neglected to mention that I was looking for a working build using Tvheadend?

Although some recent builds may work occasionally, I did hear that earlier builds of openelec and tvheadend ( I believe last year?) did actually work successfully.

Not sure why - maybe there was a different player?

If anyone has nostalgic Smile details about this - or if I am just wrong - please let me know

Many thanks

pootler
RPi 512MB
I'm Using OpenElec 2.99.5
TVHeadend Server on the RPi 3.3.491~g6990005
TimeShift Enabled
OnDemand Enabled - Max 60mins

Playback using TVHeadend Client on the same RPi
All HD channels are still using the wrong dimensions, but they all play.
720p TV1
1080i TV2, TV3

All SD channels play fine.

During HD channel playback the station plays-pause-play-pause-play for 2-3s (no image) and then plays correctly.
HD Format is H.264/MPEG-4 AVC - not sure how to get more details than that.

Hope this helps someone
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30