Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [XBMCBuntu] 12.0 XVBA Legacy - Frodo RC1 - 100% CPU @ Idle & 455 fps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
XBMCBuntu 12.0 - XVBA Legacy
Frodo RC1
Wsnipex PPA
Dual Core AMD CPU

After upgrading to RC1 from Beta 3, I noticed my CPU fans were running really hard. So I checked the CPU usage and found that both cores are operating at 100% at idle. A LiveTV stream using Tvheadend, both cores stay at 100%. When playing a streaming video from the documentary addon it seems to drop a bit. I also noticed that it is bouncing back and forth between 98.9 fps to 455 fps? I didn't notice these problems with Beta 3. I am not sure what is causing it, so hopefully I can help to figure it out. Here is the debug log.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=22144
In your log indicates, that you are only playing mpeg-2 files. Those files are not XVBA accelerated, so cpu usage could be a bit high.

Recheck that "Vertical Blank Sync" is set to Always enabled in System -> Settings -> Video Hardware. Also disable the RSS Feed for testing.
@ fritsch: Thanks fritsch. I checked on Vertical Blank Sync, and changed to Always enabled & also disabled RSS. That seems to have dropped the FPS down to an avg of 30 while playing streams from the sportsdevil addon. The CPU is still not where it has typically been using Eden and the Frodo betas. One of the cores show 100%, the other core is bouncing around 30% while using sportsdevil. If I return to main XBMC screen, the 30% jumps to 60%+-. Really weird. Here is a link to the new debug log after changes you recommended and reset.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=22260

Could you just for fun disable the common.cache service script? (this is a long shot)
@beschmid:
For the playback numbers - I would nearly say that a higher load is normal, as those streams seem to be mpeg-2 which is done purely on the CPU. The 100% peaks make me wonder. If you can reinstall fglrx by purging the old installation you had before. I have seen so many issues with this drivver, that this shot is shorter than Martijn's :-)
@fritsch - Before reinstalling the fglrx, would it make sense that things were working fine in the Frodo beta's (CPU usage ranged in the 30%-50% range for both cores at idle), and now with RC1 CPU usage goes to 100% CPU0 and 30% CPU1 at idle? Knowing this would you still reinstall fglrx?
@Martijn - I disable the Common Cache service script. CPU usage seems to be the same. It stays at 100% on one of the cores the other bounces around 20%-50%. Here is the log after a reset with service disabled,

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=22581

@fritsch: Updated to RC2, and then purged fglrx-legacy and then re-installed. The CPU usage is still at 100% on one of the cores during idle. The cpu does drop to a normal range if I am playing a video. So this seems to be an idle CPU issue. Any suggestions?
Could you save your .xbmc folder and start off with no addons installed and no additional configuration like LCD. Please use skin Confluence. Just set dirty regions:

Code:
<gui>    
    <algorithmdirtyregions>3</algorithmdirtyregions>
    <nofliptimeout>0</nofliptimeout>
</gui>

Would this still result in high CPU utilization? If not, enable your addons one by one.
@beschmid

I am getting similar symptoms cpu usage wise with RC2 (one or both cores at 100% CPU @ idle).

However the problem only occurs for me after the machine has thawed from hibernate (which is basically whenever I go to use it after a while)
After a fresh reboot or cold boot the issue doesn't manifest and cpu usage is practically zero at idle. Still a pain in the ass but a workaround for now.

Does the problem still occur after a cold boot for you?

AMD 5050e processor
Radeon HD4200 with12.6 legacy drivers
Frodo RC2 using wsnipex xvba ppa
Ubuntu Precise
Transparency skin.
yeah, AMD and suspend.. its a PITA. You could try the "Optional: workaround for suspend resume" from the howto: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=116996
(2012-12-25, 15:40)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]yeah, AMD and suspend.. its a PITA. You could try the "Optional: workaround for suspend resume" from the howto: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=116996

Strange that it only just started happening with RC1 onwards for me though.
Will try the workaround mentioned for my problem and report back (don't want to hijack this thread).
Bugger. Tried the "Optional: workaround for suspend resume". No luck though.

Have abandoned hibernate for now and just shutting down instead, just not worth the hassle for the moment.
Still strange this started happening though given I didn't have any issues like this under Eden or before Frodo RC1. Maybe an Ubuntu update broke something...
@FernetMenta: I set the dirty regions as specified in your post, deleted addons, and deleted the LCD lines in my advancedsettings.xml. The dirty regions didn't seem to effect it but deleting the addons did. I have no idea which addon was causing high CPU as I have not re-installed all the addons yet and I am installing them one by one to check for changes. I did not change the skin to Confluence as deleting the addons seemed to solve the problem so I am still running Aeon Nox. It could have also been the LCD code in the advancedsettings.xml as I changed the file and deleted the addons during the same session :/

@auszig: the high cpu is consistent for me whether I suspend/resume or cold boot. You might try backing up addons, deleting all non stock addons, reboot, and see if anything improves. As with you, I also started having this problem after upgrading to RC1.
Registered just to thank you guys.

I had exactly the same problem...Everything running smoothly (avg 7% CPU usage on idle on my E-350) until RC1, which made the CPU spike to 100% every 3s. I tried everything from all the 100% CPU threads around...dirty regions, no flip, rss, vsync, update fglrx, older fglrx, confluence, update to RC2 latest and even xbmc reinstall. The only thing missing was the plugins, since i've never seen anyone hinting them as the possible source of the problem.

The winner (or should i say the looser?) in my case was in fact the Common Plugin Cache

Xubuntu 12.10
Wsnipex xvba

Thanks again and keep up the great work Wink
Just signed up to say same issue here with RC2. AMD E350 on Xubuntu 12.04 with AMD Catalyst 12.10 drivers. 100% on one core. Tried everything here, disabled all my plugins. Still maxing out one core at idle.

Pages: 1 2