Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Buntu Dissapointment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I dual booted Windows 8 with XBMC Buntu. I'm using a VGA cable and get 1920 X 1080 at 60Hz connected to my Samsung 46 inch. The computer has a DVI to VGA adapter an then I use a VGA cable to TV. Maybe I'll get better picture using HDMI cable or upgrading my Graphics Card. However that's not my problem.

My problem is when I'm using XBMC Buntu, I'm using a 3.5mm jack to connect Audio Out from Computer to the corresponding Line-In matching my TV input. The sound is LOW. However when I switched to Windows 8 and watch YouTube, the sound is perfect. So just for the heck of it I installed XBMC into Windows 8. No problem there AND my Sound is MUCH IMPROVED.

So bottom line is I expected to normally boot my Media Center PC in XBMCBuntu and rarely in Windows 8. However, right now, I cannot watch any movies by directly booting into XBMC because of sound issue. There is not much to play with the settings and I've tried pretty much everything.

So why does XBMC within Windows 8 sound so much better than within XBMC Buntu? Is it a driver issue?

PS Wanted to add, with Windows 8 I'm using Eden (11) while with XBMC Buntu I'm using Frodo (12) Beta 2. But please don't tell me that's the issue.
Sounds like you have to raise the volume in the mixer. Try pressing + (or =) to see if the sound improves. If that doesn't work, you can try the audio mixer add-on (doesn't work for me, but you might have better luck). Failing that, you may need to log out of xbmc, log into xbmcbuntu and run alsamixer.

Tobor
(2012-12-18, 00:06)Tobor Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like you have to raise the volume in the mixer. Try pressing + (or =) to see if the sound improves. If that doesn't work, you can try the audio mixer add-on (doesn't work for me, but you might have better luck). Failing that, you may need to log out of xbmc, log into xbmcbuntu and run alsamixer.

Tobor

Okay please tell me exactly what the Audio Mixer is. I went angnd increased "Audio Amplification" to 100% but it did not do jack. I must be missing something, but regardless it still does not explain why within Windows 8 I have no issues. But I'll wait to get enlightened on that later. For now, if you could provide specific info on what exactly I should change?

Thanks in advance.
You can install the audiomixer add-on in XBMCbuntu (Add Ons -> Programs (I believe)). It's basically a front end for the alsamixer utility. You can access the latter by dropping to a shell (CTRL + <F1 - F6>) and issuing the following command:
Code:
alsamixer

You can user the arrow keys to navigate to the respective audio devices and increase or decrease the volume.
audiomixer is installed already by default
(2012-12-18, 09:59)lcapriotti Wrote: [ -> ]audiomixer is installed already by default

Doh! I would find that in Music Addons wouldn't I? I keep looking in Program Addons and Video Addons and not finding anything. Better lighten up on alchohol.

Thanks Guys. I will experiment today and let you know.
(2012-12-18, 17:37)rashid420 Wrote: [ -> ]Doh! I would find that in Music Addons wouldn't I? I keep looking in Program Addons and Video Addons and not finding anything. Better lighten up on alchohol.

Thanks Guys. I will experiment today and let you know.

As it turns out it is in Programs. Thing is I'm actually very good at following instructions. So when you guys said "Audiomixer" I was looking for that LITERALLY. If is of course "XBMC Audio Mixer".

In any event, the command line hint for "alsamixer" helped and I jacked up MASTER and PCM values to 100%. Problem Solved.

PS. Ctrl F1-F6 is supposed to put me to shell? Awesome! Except it did not work. I just logged off and logged in to XBMC Buntu. Will experiment with that when I manage to upgrade to RC1.
Its ctrl + ALt + F1 though F6

Obviously Everyone always forgets the volumes (xbmc is an application) and unmutting stuff in alsamixer and complains about Linux when in fact its user error. This is why the XBMC Audio Mixer was made to control the OS Volumes and unmute stuff from XBMC directly without needing a terminal.

uNi