Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to Add media to XBMCbuntu Computer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone,

Sort of a newbie here. Successfully put together a dedicated computer and installed XBMCbuntu via a USB Drive. Looks great. No issues with install, etc. My question is....how do I get media onto the hard drive of that computer. If the computer boots directly to XBMC, how do I add files to hard drive for XBMC to recognize and play? I'm sure it's a simple solution. I trolled around these message boards for about an hour but can't find any info. Please help. Thanks.

Nick
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

Assuming you have your existing media files stored on another hard drive, such as a USB external drive, and the drive is now plugged into your XBMC system:
  • Use XBMC's built-in Filemanager (wiki) to copy the files from the attached USB drive to the desired location on your XBMC system's internal hard drive or
  • boot your XBMC system into the XBMCbuntu desktop, where you can use a more familiar file manager to drag-and-drop files from the USB drive to the desired location on your XBMC system's internal drive. To switch to the XBMCbuntu desktop:
    1. Press "s" on the keyboard or click the Shutdown icon on the lower-left of the screen
    2. Select "Exit" on the shutdown menu and the system log-in screen will be displayed
    3. Enter your username and password and, on the third input field, click the down-arrow to open the drop-down menu and select "XBMCbuntu" as the session type instead of "XBMC"
    4. Click Log-in and the XBMCbuntu desktop will be displayed instead of the XBMC application
    5. (When you are done copying your files and wish to switch back to booting directly into XBMC, just log-out of the XBMCbuntu desktop and, on the log-in page, select "XBMC" as the session type instead of "XBMCbuntu")
Awesome. Works like a charm. Thank you for your help.