Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Freezes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Recently i upgraded my TV and all of a sudden i can no longer run XBMC on my media center pc. It worked fine before with the old TV not sure what the difference would be that would effect the ability to run the app. The only thing besides the TV i changed was the HDMI cable. I bought a better one to allow for the 240hz refresh rate of the new TV.

my media center is a windows 7 64 bit pc running XBMC 11.
Previous TV used to run 720p 60hz
New tv runs at 1080p 240hz.

I have since tried to re-install XBMC numerous times (including removing the profile data).
I have also tried installing version 12 frodo

Everything else on the media center runs fine. I can run microsoft media center and other applications no problem. But any time i try to run XBMC when i go to start browsing movies from my library it locks up. And when it locks up it locks up the whole pc so i have to force a shutdown with the power switch (which i hate doing). Thing is the data hasnt changed. Only new thing is the TV and cable.

I'm going to try replacing the cable with the older one next but my thought is if it were a problem with the cable then i would expect there to be video problems with the other apps on the computer as well and not just XBMC.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
When you uninstalled xbmc did you also delete the userdata folder? I want to say that uninstalling xbmc does leave behind a few things which may end up in a fresh install. Since it is only XBMC having the problem I am guessing some corruption in the userdata. I had an issue with this once and a scan disk resolved it. My problem wasn't in the gui, but the playback of trailers mostly, then it started happening with movies and TV shows too.

If you do another fresh install try blowing out the userdata folder.

That folder is located here in Win 7
Users\<your_user_name>\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\

One other thing to try is a scandisk of your C drive.
Figured out a solution and wanted to post in case it helps anyone.

It appears to be my refresh rate thats causing the issue. When it is set to higher rates like 60i or 60p XBMC freezes while navigating the menu or libraries. But if i drop it down to say 30p and then change the video playback settings to match the video that seems to be a work around. So the video will play back in 60p but the menu navigates at 30p (and takes a performance hit). Unfortunately the menu doesnt really navigate as fluidly now but at least I can now use the product.

Not sure why XBMC would care about what the refresh rate is set to... maybe they will fix that in a newer release. Frodo currently seems to have the same bug though. Very strange.