Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Scraping folder With Tv shows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I'm new to XBMC and although it works great for the most part, i can not believe how inflexible it by default is when is becomes to the Tv Shows scraper.

I have a NAS, with on it 2 folders: Movies and Series. The Movies folder with the movie files in it works great with the default Movie scraper. All cover art is downloading, and looks great.

Then the Series folder...like the Movies folder this folder has a very "flat" folder structure.
So directly is the Series folder there are files with names like "Sons.of.Anarchy.S05E13.720p.HDTV.x264-IMMERSE.mkv" or "Strike.Back.S03E09.720p.HDTV.x264-EVOLVE.mkv"

I know this is not the recommended setup, but there are a few reasons why this is the case as I use torrent client to automatically download series.
The main reason: When the torrent is finished downloading, it moves the file(and if necessary unpacks it first) to the Series folder and seeds it from there. Thus I can not move the file to another folder, because the seeding then stops.
I do not want to copy the files, because I'm already filling up my hard disk space in record time.

What I do not understand is, is why the TV shows scraper can not just get the "TV show name" from the files, instead of the folder it should be in. It already makes heavy use of regex, and all the info needed is in the file name. As is almost always is with scene releases.

My question really is: can someone help me with modifying the TV show scaper, so that it can use the first part of the filename as "TV show" name, instead of the foldername?

Thanks in advance!
When you say "Series" folder, I'm assuming it's a single folder for all your TV show files rather than individual folders for each TV "Series"? If so, try setting content on the "Series" folder, specify contents contain "TV shows", scraper is "TVDB", and be sure the option "Selected folder contains a single TV show" is NOT enabled. Run "Scan for new content" on the "Series" folder and see what happens.
artrafael: Thanks for the reply. Tis is exactly how it's setup now, but then it does not work for the files in the root of the folder at all.
OK, since you are constrained in your ability to relocate your files to individual show folders and you don't want to create duplicate files, how about using symlinks? You can create folders for each of your shows and, in each show folder, place symbolic links to the actual files located in the "Series" folder. For example, you would have a "Sons.of.Anarchy" folder and, in it, you would have a symlink with the name "Sons.of.Anarchy.S05E13.720p.HDTV.x264-IMMERSE.mkv" which points back to the physical file of the same name in your "Series" folder. When you scan your "Sons.of.Anarchy" folder, it should be able to add the episode(s) within it to your video library.
That does indeed work, but I was hoping there was something on the XBMC side that could help me without doing things manually(as i said scene release filenames are pretty good and contain all the information needed).
Experimenting with FlexGet(with the transmission torrent plugin) now to get things organized immediately after downloading, and this is working fine now.

Thanks for your help!