Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [xbmcbuntu] Going from nightly back to stable
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm currently on some build of xbmc nightly
Code:
Starting XBMC (12.0-BETA1 Git:Unknown), Platform: Linux (Ubuntu 11.10 - XBMCbuntu, 3.0.0-23-generic i686). Built on Nov 20 2012
and was thinking of going back to the stable ppas instead. How do i switch back to stable? I think at some point i added in a nightly repository for Xbmcbuntu but not sure from what source. Is there a way to see this source from command line

If i remember correctly i upgrade xbmcbuntu by running the following commands

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Have a look in the directory /etc/apt/sources.d/ to find out which ppa you added, use goggle to find the exact ppa address and use the program ppa-purge To remove the repository and downgrade xbmc to the version that's included in ubuntu.

EDIT: Just noticed your on ubuntu 11.10 and I'mpretty sure xbmc wwasn't in the ubuntu repository, but the method above will downgrade to the version in which ever stable repository you have added.
thanks. I have done a 'grep' on this file for 'xbmc' and nothing shows up in this list. If i had to guess i might have been using (ppa:nathan-renniewaldock/xbmc-nightly). Not 100% sure. When i get a chance i will try and check on the GUI repository, but the sources didnt appear to show anything

Code:
xbmc@xbmc-htpc:/etc/apt$ ls -ltr
total 60
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 2011-10-06 10:30 trusted.gpg.d
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 2011-10-06 10:30 preferences.d
-rw------- 1 root root  1200 2012-03-24 03:35 trustdb.gpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13122 2012-06-04 19:52 trusted.gpg~
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  3129 2012-07-22 09:36 sources.list.save
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 2012-07-22 09:36 sources.list.d
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  3129 2012-07-22 09:36 sources.list
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13496 2012-07-22 09:36 trusted.gpg
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 2012-07-22 09:48 apt.conf.d

However I do see the following:
Code:
xbmc@xbmc-htpc:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ ls -ltr
total 28
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  65 2012-07-22 09:36 xbmc.list.save
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  47 2012-07-22 09:36 tvheadend.list.save
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  43 2012-07-22 09:36 plex.list.save
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  64 2012-07-22 09:36 xbmc.list
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  47 2012-07-22 09:36 tvheadend.list
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  43 2012-07-22 09:36 plex.list
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 170 2012-07-22 09:36 nathan-renniewaldock-xbmc-nightly-oneiric.list
xbmc@xbmc-htpc:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ grep xbmc *
nathan-renniewaldock-xbmc-nightly-oneiric.list:deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/nathan-renniewaldock/xbmc-nightly/ubuntu oneiric main
nathan-renniewaldock-xbmc-nightly-oneiric.list:deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/nathan-renniewaldock/xbmc-nightly/ubuntu oneiric main
xbmc.list:deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu oneiric main
xbmc.list.save:deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu oneiric main

Another question, can i say pick a nightly ppa, but upgrade to a specific revision. For example, lets say i want to upgrade today's build, but if i have a problem with it, can I revert back to the previous build? Back when i used to build xbmc by source, i could just pull the revision from the svn, but now with xbmcbuntu, i'm not really sure how to go about that.

One other question now that i noticed you mentioned Ubuntu 11.10. When upgrading xbmcbuntu does it upgrade ubuntu eventually? What I am trying to ask is if and when they release xbmcbuntu that is say 12.04 based do i have to do something extra to get that upgrade along with newer xbmc.
The Nathan rennialwaldock ppa is a nightlie ppa. Not sure about installing a specific revision or how xbmcbuntu tu upgrades.
So if I want to no longer use the nightly then I have to use apt-get to purge this repository then update and upgrade?

How about updating the Ubuntu base?
Yes you must purge newer ppa containing newer packages and insert older ppa, otherwise when updating xbmc you always get the new version which for some bizarre reason you dont want.

This method is documented in xbmc wiki http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...de_process

I advise against upgrading the Ubuntu from say e.g. 11.10 to 12.04 your likely to seriously screw up the install seriously and irreversibly, kernel, package and driver upgrades should be fine, distro upgrades are a no no in my book.

Installing specific package versions of any application is possible see http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-debi...sheet.html

uNi
Thanks for the info. There isn't much of a reason that I don't always want the newest version except sometimes stable just works out better. So I wanted to prepare for the stable release.

As far as upgrading Ubuntu I think I had a misunderstanding what xbmcbuntu really is and maybe still do. I think I was under the impression that when I did any apt upgrade it not only was going to upgrade xbmc but basically my whole xbmcbuntu system (os etc).

When i used to manage my Ubuntu 8.10 I would build the xbmc by source. I could pull specific revisons from the svn when needed. I knew what was involved to upgrade Ubuntu. With xbmcbuntu I'm still a bit fuzzy on upgrading the OS when its available.
XBMCbuntu is lubuntu So its basically just anoth Ubuntu based Linux Distro, < nothing new here for Ubuntu users except it is modified to run XBMC primarely while offering a desktop so people can use it as a PC.

The distro upgrade no matter what it is, is always nearly a disaster like I mentioned upgrading from Lucid 10.04 to Precise 12.04 or whatever, < bad idea, best to do backup of userdata and a fresh install of the Newer Linux or Ubuntu. Having said this I dont use XBMCbuntu, though Im familiar with it on my Virtual machine for testing.

When you managed 8.10 this is when I started using XBMC in Linux and the only reason I learned a very tiny amount of Linux.
Currently (and for a few years) I run a minimal Ubuntu install + compile xbmc from git source and configure system for runnig XBMC as a dedicated HTPC with a remote control.

You can safely updated packages including kernels but not a distro upgrade that changes Linux versions.

Im sure you will get the hang of it, just as long as you dont panic and follow instructions properly from reliable sources.

Good luck Big Grin

uNi