Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Better way to navigate to TV Shows?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
On the main menu, I navigate to "Movies". Then, I select the 'up' arrow. I then navigate to "TV Shows". Is there a way to simply add a "TV Shows" entry to the main menu to access it directly?
There usually is an entry one the main menu for TV shows. You may have to go into the skin settings and enable it.
It won't appear on the main menu until you've added a source that you've set as a TV show.
... and you've actually scanned TV shows into your video library.
... and, if you're using Confluence, you've changed the default "Hide TV Shows" in the home screen setup of the skin settings.
(2012-12-21, 21:32)Prof Yaffle Wrote: [ -> ]... and, if you're using Confluence, you've changed the default "Hide TV Shows" in the home screen setup of the skin settings.

And we have winner! Is this not sort of an odd place to stick this setting? Should it not be skin-independent? I never thought to look in the "skins" settings.

Yea really odd place for a skin setting to be in skin settings.

uNi
(2012-12-21, 23:58)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]Yea really odd place for a skin setting to be in skin settings.
Big Grin

(2012-12-21, 23:58)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]Yea really odd place for a skin setting to be in skin settings.

uNi

No way. I maintain this should have absolutely nothing to do with a skin. Should be an integral skin-independent setting. It's far from intuitive to expect that one would know that only some skins have the ability to hide or reveal main menu entries. Skin settings and/or theme settings should contain elements relating to changing the skin, backgrounds, sounds, etc. Revealing or hiding main menu items is more of a "general" setting that ought to be skin independent. For instance, if I choose never to use "pictures" and decide to change my skin, one would then need to check whether a skin supports hiding the "pictures" submenu and then select the tick mark to "hide" it? While I certainly could have looked more carefully, it's certainly not intuitive.
A skin is the whole interface - just because one skin allows you to do something it doesn't mean another has too.
(2012-12-22, 00:29)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]A skin is the whole interface - just because one skin allows you to do something it doesn't mean another has too.

Yes, I get that. But, never have I come across an application or an app where elements which can be revealed, hidden or what not are skin-dependent. These types of settings are almost always built into the basic framework, and the skin abides by these settings. Skin or theme settings almost always pertain to a skin switcher, changing of backgrounds, sounds, etc. It's simply not intuitive to have to re-apply fundamental menu items (revealing, hiding, addition of submenu items, etc.) after switching skins.
Here a thing intuitive things are by definition where you would naturally expect to find them, right? So from the word go you yourself have to be intuitive so you yourself aready not in tune with something intuitive and then instead of looking at self and thinking maybe ai need ti familiarize myself to improve intuition, I'll just waffle for half hour and then everything wakes up redesigned.

hahaha Big Grin

* un1versal takes off flying to the planet of the apes!.
(2012-12-22, 01:16)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]Here a thing intuitive things are by definition where you would naturally expect to find them, right? So from the word go you yourself have to be intuitive so you yourself aready not in tune with something intuitive and then instead of looking at self and thinking maybe ai need ti familiarize myself to improve intuition, I'll just waffle for half hour and then everything wakes up redesigned.

hahaha Big Grin

* uNiversal takes off flying to the planet of the apes!.

Proofread much?

Look, there are items under Appearance/Skin such as "Startup window" and "show/hide RSS news feed", whereas settings such as selecting which menu items are shown or hidden are not found here. Heck, they're not even found under Appearance. They're found under an entirely different section, and not even immediately below Appearance. I'm not asking why such items are placed in a skin-specific section because there's a perfectly good explanation for that. There just ought to be better way, not for my own interest, but rather, in the hopes of broadening this platform's appeal and adoption. But, does there even need to be a better way is the question, considering XMBC's primary audience at the moment.

Skin settings have been moved to the "Appearance" option in Frodo, which is a more logical placement; nonetheless, this change caused some consternation with some existing users who could no longer see the separate "Skins" option on the primary settings menu. Smile
Ah, well then, there's hope. Smile Looking forward to the move up to Frodo.
Pages: 1 2