Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Suggestion for New/Upgrade HTPC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,
I'm thinking about to an upgrade of my HTPC

These are the components that I have:
- case Antec Fusion Remote
- PSU Antec neopower 430 (430W)
- 3 Hard disk sata/eide

I'm not interesting to play game, but I want to see full hd movie and BluRay Disc

I'm thinking to buy:
CPU -> amd apu A6 5400k or A8 5500
Mobo-> asrock FM2A75 pro4m
RAM -> 4gb 1600mhz DDR3 CL9

well, i'm waiting your tips Smile

ps: win7+xbmc
Do you want 3D support for future?

Why 3 hard disks?
(2012-12-21, 19:34)Malosar Wrote: [ -> ]Do you want 3D support for future?

At the moment I'm interested to have HD audio and soon a blu ray player.
I don't like 3D and my tv doesn't support it.. but maybe in the future I could change my mind
So depends on how much money I have to spend to get it Big Grin

(2012-12-21, 19:34)Malosar Wrote: [ -> ]Why 3 hard disks?

Why this question?
In the first I have SO, music and photo.

In the second and third there are all my movies.
I bought the third because the second will die soon. Big Grin
If no 3D then the A6 will be fine, nice low power version that can handle anything else.

HTPC's (and especially XBMC) are greatly enhanced by an SSD for the OS drive, keeping media on larger hard disks. Just something to think about when making purchases. You only need a 64Gb drive which you can get fairly cheap now.
Check out the MK808.
I am currently using it as my primary XBMC player and am very happy with it. Its currently running XBMC in Android OS, with an external player to handle HD files. .
The dual core processor is obvious because this thing is very fast.
I also have the Pivos Xios DS and I have to say that the MK808 is a faster machine.
Once the Android XBMC build is finally finished, this will be a perfect option.
At 100 dollars including keyboard remote and delivery, its an excellent choice.
(2012-12-21, 21:01)Malosar Wrote: [ -> ]If no 3D then the A6 will be fine, nice low power version that can handle anything else.

HTPC's (and especially XBMC) are greatly enhanced by an SSD for the OS drive, keeping media on larger hard disks. Just something to think about when making purchases. You only need a 64Gb drive which you can get fairly cheap now.

thank you for your opinion, I'll keep in mind for the future to buy a ssd

@gformica
i think that mk808 is not a good solution for me
Even if I am not, I know some of you are very keen to build a 3D ready solution so here is a link to AnandTech to a processor 3D benchmark to help you decide what processor is best for you...

The short story, you are good with an I3 540 Angel It is a 73 Watt but that should not be a problem as some people run I7 in that box Rofl

The long story is available on that page

UPDATE: The I3 3225 (Ivy bridge) is 3D capable with a TDP of (only) 55watts so it looks like the right choice for 3D lovers Wink
(2012-12-22, 00:40)gformica Wrote: [ -> ]Check out the MK808.
I am currently using it as my primary XBMC player and am very happy with it. Its currently running XBMC in Android OS, with an external player to handle HD files. .
The dual core processor is obvious because this thing is very fast.
I also have the Pivos Xios DS and I have to say that the MK808 is a faster machine.
Once the Android XBMC build is finally finished, this will be a perfect option.
At 100 dollars including keyboard remote and delivery, its an excellent choice.

No network playback on external players. Is that correct? If so its useless to me. None of my XBMC machines have a single video on them.