Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Mainboard for the i3-3225
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If you need 23.976Hz support, the DH77EB seems to be the only Ivy Bridge board that still has a major issue with it.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1407042/offici...thread/180
http://communities.intel.com/thread/32120

Google "DH77EB 24p" for more threads
O darn. I can still cancel the board, it's going out tomorrow.
Do you know if any of the other boards support 1.35v RAM? It's hard to find information about that...
I was able to cancel the mobo. Now the search continues. Seems like ASRock and ASUS support 1.35V RAM (as per http://www.corsair.com/learn_n_explore).

Dougie Fresh, any thoughts on the power consumption? I hear that Intel and MSI are the best when it comes to wattage. What are your experiences with ASUS/ASRock? Is it possible to achieve 20-25W idle with one SSD connected?
I am not currently an ASRock fan. I much prefer ASUS or Gigabyte. I can't imagine most motherboard will vary more than a few watts so I don't see why 20-25W idle would not be achieveable. I think though it's going to be whatever it'll be and I would focus on quality and features you needs vs. a few watts.
I am still sort of undecided between the ASUS P8Z77-M Pro and the Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H. Power consumption of the Gigabyte board seems a little lower according to reviews. Feature-wise I'm indifferent here. And according to this (German-speaking) thread, 1.35V RAM is not an issue.

I wasn't able to find anything to any of them regarding Linux/Ubuntu/Mint compatibilty. Any comments on that?

Right now I'm leaning towards the Gigabyte board. And I really want the search to be over :-D
The audio and Ethernet chipsets seem to be different on the two boards -- and the VIA chip on the Gigabyte seems to be causing problems on Linux (at least that's what Google tells me).

So the ASUS P8Z77-M Pro is now the front runner -- just need to confirm that 1.35V RAM works with it, and 23.976 is possible.
Dougie Fresh, can you comment on that -- since you suggested the board in the first place :-D
I don't know. I used several of these for office PCs so 1.35V RAM and 23.976Hz wasn't part of the required feature set. I can only comment that the client is very happy and they've had no issues with these boards.
After reviewing the Assassin HTPC blog, I'm now looking at the P8H77-M Pro, which seems to have good Linux support (ubuntuforums.org, Newegg Feedback), a good-enough frame rate (23.973), comparable energy consumption (build, hardware.info review), and hopefully support for low voltage RAM (the manual mentions 1.35V).

Compared to the Z77 boards (as I understand it), it only lacks the support for two GPUs and overclocking.

I'll sleep on it though. I appreciate any comment about this! Thanks!

The P8H77-M PRO looks like a good one to me. I like that it has heatsinked VRMs.
How bad is the 24p issue with the hd4000? Does the a6 chip suffer frame drops at 24p as well?
Just ordered the P8H77-M PRO. Yeyy! Thanks Dougie Fresh!

smudgeruk, I didn't stumble over any does-not-work kinda threads regarding 24p on the HD4000. This YouTube video shows the i3-3225 with tthe Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H at a steady 23.973 (not 23.976), which is close enough. This video almost convinced me to go with Gigabyte, but the Linux problems scared me away.
Pages: 1 2