Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Horizontal Offset between left and right eye on HSBS 3D MKV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've just upgraded to a 3D projector. I'm playing back 1080p HSBS 3D h.264 MKV files using the internal XBMC player on Frodo (will check version tonight) on Windows 7 Home Premium x64 with AMD Athlon X2 240 Regor and GeForce 210 over HDMI passed through an Onkyo NR1007 HDMI 1.3 AVR. In terms of decoding I have no problems, same as any standard 1080p file.

That said, I do have a strange problem with the 3D aspect. I'm seeing an offset of the entire frame of around 10 pixels... i.e. the left eye image fills the screen with except a vertical black bar about 10 pixels wide on the right side, and the right eye fills the screen with a vertical black bar about 15 pixels wide on the left side of the screen. For scale, the offset is about 1" wide on a 100" diagonal 16:9 screen. This is not the offset that creates the 3D effect since it can be seen as a horizontal offset of the edge image frame. This seems to be having a small impact on the 3D effect, causing a tiny bit more eye strain but definitely not making it unwatchable. It seems to be the case for all of my 3D HSBS files. Output resolution of 720p60 and 1080p60 both exhibit the problem exactly the same.

For comparison, I tested broadcast HSBS from my TivoHD with no such problem. I also forced HSBS output of a 3D Blu-Ray from my Panasonic BDT220 3D Blu-Ray player with no such problem. I have not tried playback of an MKV from the Panasonic Blu-Ray player yet, but that will be my next test. I also have not tested bypassing the AVR but will do so tonight, though video scaling/processing is disabled in the AVR.

Any ideas on what XBMC or Windows/Hardware settings might be at fault? Any recommendations on what to try to eliminate this image offset? Thanks in advance!
Anyone??
+1

Will do a printscreen or make a picture/movie of the screen and upload tonight after work.

(Using Raspberry Pi)
Glad to know I'm not the only one. What other equipment are you using? I'll try to test the same MKVs from a Panasonic BD player tonight as well
Samsung ES6500 (3D) and a Raspberry Pi. That's it.
Can the ES6500 play MKV from USB or Network? And if so, can it apply SBS processing to this content? If so, it would be a good test to see if the problem is somehow related to XBMC output. I'll be testing with a Panasonic BDT220 blu-ray player tonight. For comparison, I don't have this problem with SBS content from my Tivo HD on Comcast.
(2013-01-02, 21:42)IsleOfMan Wrote: [ -> ]Can the ES6500 play MKV from USB? And if so, can it apply SBS processing to this content?

Yes. Same USB HDD conected to the RPI.
Yes.
Interesting I play SBS 3d files (1080p, h264, mkv) files to my LG 3D TV perfectly with both xbmc and mythfrontend (linux, revo ION2). I'll take another look today and see if I can find any evidence of that problem.

My first thought was whether something in your projector needs aligning, but if it works with other sources, tha seems unlikely.
I can confirm that MKV playback from my Panasonic BD player DOES NOT exhibit this same behavior.
Is this what you get?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dmspfh4cgypnn5....26.09.jpg

This is the same image but using the internal Samsung TV player:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3a8gc8ral3m1v....31.40.jpg

See the difference of the offset between left and right eye. With Samsung player, its really smaller
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zb2uuo5cf5kyre....31.57.jpg

UPDATE: does the video calibration affects it or not?
That's exactly what I get, but possibly not quite as extreme/exaggerated as your first picture... maybe 75% as bad as your top picture but still noticeable. That picture does illustrate the problem perfectly.

I'm not sure if the XBMC video calibration affects it or not... I've actually used the video calibration to hide it for the most part and this had mostly eliminated the eye strain it originally caused. I'll try resetting the video calibration tonight and see if that has any affect.
Any DEVs can reply on this please?
Should I open a TRAC?
Thanks to dushmaniac for reply at TRAC:

Changed 88 seconds ago by dushmaniac
  • status changed from new to closed
  • type changed from Bugs to Feature Requests
  • version 12.0 "Frodo" RC2 deleted
  • resolution set to Invalid
  • milestone Future / Pending deleted
this is not a bug but a feature request. xbmc doesn't support 3d modes yet, so calibration/zooming/aspect will be off with frodo.

there's some preliminary work in https://github.com/pieh/xbmc/commits/3d but this is not ready yet and not included in xbmc's master branch, so don't ask for support
So, the way I read it, the offset is caused by the Video Calibration? I'll try resetting the video calibration tonight to see if that eliminates the problem. If it does, I can possibly do my video calibration outside of XBMC (possibly in NVIDIA Control Panel) and see if that helps any.

And the 3D branch in-work would need to be user-compile to be installed? If so, I guess I'll either live with whatever progress I can make with XBMC by doing video calibration in Windows or playback my SBS files from my BD player for the time being...
Pages: 1 2