Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Hardware decoding for Exynos and NovaThor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

I had a glance at the hardware android wiki page, where I discovered that hardware decoding is supposed to work on Exynos 4210. So I went ahead and installed XBMC RC2 on a Galaxy SII (fw 4.0.3). After trying to play a few mp4 and mkv 1080p files, I can say that in my case hardware decoding is not working. Is there any settings I need to switch on?

On another side, I tried to play back those same files on a STE NovaThor U8500 equipped phone (Sony Experia P). I know the chipset is not supported, but since it is widespread in many midrange handsets, and its Mali 400MP is perfectly capable of hardware decoding 1080p videos (using stock player as well as MX Player, etc.. ), I hope support from XBMC will be coming!

Gio
It's not included in any of the current builds and is very early in development. It shouldn't even say it supports it on that page yet.
(2012-12-27, 22:28)Gionames Wrote: [ -> ]On another side, I tried to play back those same files on a STE NovaThor U8500 equipped phone (Sony Experia P). I know the chipset is not supported, but since it is widespread in many midrange handsets, and its Mali 400MP is perfectly capable of hardware decoding 1080p videos (using stock player as well as MX Player, etc.. ), I hope support from XBMC will be coming!

Worth noting that H264/VC-1/MPEG2 hardware acceleration isn't performed by the MALI GPU, it is performed by a separate VPU. This VPU (and whether it can be accessed) differs between SoCs even if they all use MALI - and is one of the main barriers to hardware acceleration on multiple SoC systems.
Ned and Noggin, thank you for clarifying that.
Any idea how MX Player achieves the goal of hardware decoding?
It's explained in the Android FAQ (wiki).