Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Server-based XBMC library updates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys,

Anyone know a way of updating a mysql Media Library built on a server without needing XBMC running on a client?

I'm talking centralised Media, Library, etc. in a server client architecture. I've been building a new home NAS, currently built using freenas but thinking of moving to OpenIndiana, so ultimately thats freebsd or OpenSolaris.

I've built a db using mysql for the xbmc library so its centralised... All good apart from the decentralised library updates.

I originally looked for Media Managers I can use with linux and xbmc, but cannot find a web-ui feature set. Another option would be to install XWMM independently outside of XBMC, but I don't think this is possible?

Anyone know a way of doing this?

Interestingly, I've now built a similar setup (RPi with attached USB drive, shared via smb to multiple front ends). I wondered about the exact same thing.

I was going to look into this at some point. I know it's not as such available, but as most of the scraper back end is python, there might be a way of hacking this together manually by taking the python code, ensuring it finds the connection to your MySQL DB correctly and maybe running it regularly in the background in cron.

It would be awesome though if there was a de-coupled ready to install package for Linux (and others?) to just run the scrapers. Haven't found a feature request section yet, but definitely worth checking there / posting there if not already exists.
You might find the following thread of interest... Search for xbmcVideoLibraryScan...

xbmc minified as a server?