Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Live USB frodo RC2 AMD install problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I have been trying to install the new frodo releases, I have tried all of them, but I keep getting a problem that will not let me install Xbmcbuntu.

The error that is occuring is "microcode: failed to load file amd-ucode/ microcode amd .bin". I

I have done some research and have found that this is a new system which allows for processors to function properly. There is a fix for it but only from within a system. I am doing a brand new install. New hardware. Therefore, I can not even get into the system or a terminal to force the microcode.

Is there a way to get around this? Or is there a way I can add it to the kernel so that when it loads and preseeds it will not come up with the error?

OR alternativly, could i install a different OS and install xbmcbuntu directly from the OS so I have complete comand line access.

System:
Radeon HD 6450 GPU
AMD A6 series CPU
4gb DDR3
64GB SSD
500 GB HD
LG bluray

Any help is apreciated.

Thanks,

Betanu701
Hmmz,

That can be a problem as that is an APU so you have both the Microcode Update Driver and the radeon KMS drivers , being that there is more than one ucode that may be going on not sure how the XBMC guys setup Xbmcbuntu.

Possible Fix 1: From what I gather you can't just invoke ucode=0 in the command line either because that's an actual option and it would also affect the KMS lol. They're most likely loading it as a module though so if you can disable the microcode that way that may help.

Possible Fix 2: You can also try to see if the files are in the correct path. Normally they're in /lib/firmware but they may not be in /usr/src/<kernel version>/firmware (or /user/src/linux if the kernel version is symlinked) which is where it's trying to load from.

In your case I would copy both the /lib/firmware/amd-ucode/microcode_amd.bin more specifically (if it's there at least) microcode_amd_fam15h.bin being the A6 is in the 15h family So if it's not in either directory that "may" be the problem right there. So if you don't have it go download it. Check this link here for instructions. http://debianandi.blogspot.com/2012/11/u...ocode.html

Example Copy:
Code:
cp -a /lib/firmware/amd-ucode/ /usr/src/linux/firmware/amd-ucode
cp -a /lib/firmware/radeon/ /usr/src/linux/firmware/radeon

As a FYI if they have KMS setup then you need the CAICOS files from /ib/firmware/radeon which should be the files for your Graphics Card, so make sure they exist first.
Code:
radeon/CAICOS_mc.bin radeon/CAICOS_me.bin radeon/CAICOS_pfp.bin

Once you have everything copied over in /user/src/<kernel version/firmware then give it a try.

Possible Fix 3: If your able to edit the kernel options you can disable it all together or build it into the Kernel just make sure you have the kernel setup as such:

Code:
CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
CONFIG_FW_LOADER=y
CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="amd-ucode/microcode_amd.bin amd-ucode/microcode_amd_fam15h.bin radeon/CAICOS_mc.bin radeon/CAICOS_me.bin radeon/CAICOS_pfp.bin"
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware/"

It is really not recommended to edit the .config directly(but you can just be careful not to make a mistake) you can find these configuration options here:
Code:
-> Device Drivers
-> Generic Driver Options

I hope one of these helps you out man.
Any Luck? lol
"There is a fix for it but only from within a system."

Have the same problem. However, I can install xbmcbuntu fully and the graphics card is just not addressed properly and I cannot make use of hardware acceleration. I would very much appreciate to know more about that fix.

Thanks in advance!
(2013-01-02, 12:46)PhilomanaiacXL Wrote: [ -> ]"There is a fix for it but only from within a system."

Have the same problem. However, I can install xbmcbuntu fully and the graphics card is just not addressed properly and I cannot make use of hardware acceleration. I would very much appreciate to know more about that fix.

Thanks in advance!

Which video card do you have ? Perhaps you need to setup the drivers for it as well as xvba/vdpau depending on the card.
hi,

ok so im getting the same problem. I have managed to successfully install xbmc frodo onto the system but it was playing up so I decided to to another clean install zeroing the hdd before hand. After this i get the microcode error as well and now I when installing it take forever (like 1hr) and still hasnt gotten close so i stop it.

If i can get it installed then how do I fix the microcode problem.

thanks
try this

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba
sudo apt-get remove xbmc xbmc-bin
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin

Regular xbmcbuntu has no ATI support to speak of seeFrodo FAQ (wiki)

When its done enable xvba and disable vdpau and vaapi.

uNi
Hi, I have this problem also.

I can't try any of the fixes above because this happens when I boot from the liveCD.

I don't have a terminal window to type any of the code you supplied
Is there an option to boot without KMS?
I don't get given any options ever.

I coose to bood from the live CD in my BIOS and then it runs through a few things before just giving me a black screen. I never even get a prompt
So you don't even see an error then like the others?

Also are you guys still using RC2 or the latest Livecd , just figure I would ask lol
I am using the latest live cd.

II see the error on the screen where you see "xbmc" with 4 dots underneath. Then the screen goes black.
Ok I hve figured out something that might work.

I can extract the ISO image on my laptop and then add in the files that are missing.

Now I am just stuck on the next two steps:

1. I need to compress the file system directory into a .squashfs file

2. I need to compile the whole directory into an ISO file.

How can I do these?
ok, I managed to get this fixed by editing the live USB stick.

Now I get this error before the screen goes black:

"mmio address already in use"