Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Best form-factor server case
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Wanted to get some recommendation on server cases. I currently have an Antec Twelve Hundred, which I am mostly satisfied with. However, it looks too much like a gaming case and is way too loud... I know that most people here in this forum will suggest Norco, but it is even more noisy and I still have no idea how to really mount it...

So, I am looking for suggestions for a nice server case. Supposed to carry anywhere between 8 and 16 disks. Needs to meet the following requirements:

* Very nice form factor

* Rather quiet

* Commonly available (no specialized US-only products)

* Sufficient cooling

* Preferably hot-swappable disks (but not a must)

Would be great to hear recommendations both on 8 and 16 disk server cases.

Thanks in advance!!!
take a look at my server(Lian Li V2120) , the only noise it makes is when it powers on and that's just the 7*7200RPM waking up :p
Look at the www.fractal-design.com cases...
I use the Antec DF-85 case. It has 7 fans so cooling is excellent and with all running at their lowest speed it's also reasonably quiet. Nine 3.5" drives slide into the front access bays, 4 of which are hot-swappable. You can buy additional hot-swap modules separately but I didn't bother. There's a spot for a 2.5" boot drive in the bottom of the case so you don't take up one of the 9 front bays. There's also room for four more 3.5" drives mounted on their side in the top 5.25" bays. This isn't what the case was designed for but it'll work provided you're not using any of the 5.25" bays. I haven't found any 3,4 or 5 drive cages that will fit in the 5.25" bays - the top front cooling fan is in the way. There's also a hot-swappable 2.5" drive bay on the top of the case. With a bit of creativity and effort I could also mount 2 more 3.5" drives on the side of the front drive bays, inside the case.

I currently have 9 drives in mine with room for 6 more before I have to get creative. The USB 3.0 port on the front of the case is nice to have too.
Thanks for your quick replies. I like all of your ideas.

The Lian Li server is definitely a master piece and would be the best solution. Unfortunately, it is also above what I am willing to spend - I am living in China and they are asking $650... Fractal design cases are not available here. The Antec DF-85 is too similar to what I have now.

Any other ideas? Any thoughts on the Antec P280? Anyone has it and can comment on how loud it is? And how the finishing of the front pane looks like?
Any antec P-series case will be fine but you might want to put in some noise cancelling foam and some nocua fans..
(2013-01-02, 06:59)RaggSokk3n Wrote: [ -> ]Any antec P-series case will be fine but you might want to put in some noise cancelling foam and some nocua fans..

Thanks. Besides the P280, any other model of the P-series you would suggest over the P280? I am a bit lost with their web site... More harddisks would be good, but I could live with the P280...

Which nocua fans would you suggest and are you referring to the 3 optional ones (all needed?) or even replacing the ones that come with the P280?
I bought this mini-cube case about 15 years or so ago and have used it for many systems ever since, most recently and probably permanently for my unRaid server. I like the form factor and having drives separated from the MB/cards/etc. Can accommodate two 5in3 front hot swap cages, and can hold another 10 3.5" drives internally for a total of 20. Plenty of mounting options for fans. Pretty industrial looking though I suppose. And a bit pricey since no PSU or drive cages are included.