Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 12.0 RC2 Freezes on exit (won't exit until thumbnail cache finishes updating)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have an issue where XBMC 12.0 RC2 freezes on exit after I try and open a picture folder with a large number of photos (~4000). I have checked the logs and it seems XBMC is copying the thumbnails to its thumbnail cache for all of the photos and will not exit until it completes the update, which takes a very long time (~30 minutes).

The log is linked below, you can see the OnQuit message is received however it takes nearly another 30 minutes for XBMC to finish updating the cache and exiting.
12.0 log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1486746/

This issue does not exist in 11.0, when a user exits the caching of picture thumbnails stops and XBMC shuts down immediately (11.0 log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1486766/).

Note: I found this issue while working on an python addon to read from the Shotwell photo database. I don't think the issue is in the addon, as I'm simply creating a listing of all my picture files using xbmcplugin.addDirectoryItem.

I am having the same problem and have to go into task manager to close it out. I never waited 30 minutes though to see if it actually shuts down.
XBMC crashes on exit on my XBMCBuntu and Mac, both RC2.
For XBMCBuntu, I have to SSH and reboot, for Mac I have to force quit xbmc.
Don't know if it's the same caching issue though. I'll check my logs later.
Same for me on Windows.

Killing the process in Task Manager doesn't work either. You have to wait 5-15 minutes for the process to die on its own.
No way all your issues are the same. All install latest nightly and let's see which one is still there (my guess is only the one from the OP).

@squashed_bug

please open a ticket at trac.xbmc.org (using your forum account name/pass) and add CC jmarshall
This is fixed in master 9b9df985de134b998b7642831fe548b77b757a96
Wow .. fixed before I even got a chance to raise the defect!!!

I compiled the new version and can confirm the issue is resolved.

Thanks!