Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: leaving mythbuntu, this is the gear I have
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After mythbuntu dropped support for ISO (and then started hoop jumping for everything) I stopped using the box. It sat while we had a pair of kids, and I'm now ready to bring it back up.

Currently have 8x wd green 2tb drives and assorted 1, 1.5, and 750 as well. I have 2x perc 5i . A core quad duo , cc2d, and an amd box. Zotac ion (atom).

I think I have enough to get to where I can stream movies to the TV as well as have the wife backup photos . I desire a 2 box system. One for the TV and one in the basement with all the hds.

So: freenas vs unraid vs zfs? I prefer raid 6 but that isn't an option on the percs, and id have to do some serious juggling to make move data around. (I either have to rerip my media or convert the stored ISO files to whatever format is needed- time)

Do I just program the perc for raid 5 and share it out for xbmc sitting upstairs?

Also have 6 3tb drives I use for video editing, which would be my shuffle drives :-) to get it all to work.

Suggestions where to start would be really welcome.
If you like RAID 6 but don't have the hardware to make it happen what about ZFS RAID-Z2? FreeNAS plus you existing pool of 8 WD's would be perfect.
mythbuntu hasn't dropped iso support, what are you on about?
Well, that is indeed a solution. I have hardware xor with the percs for raid 5, well known and tested. I don't know if I can make pass thru disks or not as most controllers I'd seen were limited.

Also need to relearn ripping as it appears things have changed a bit. Simply decompression of the ISO files hasn't worked.
Storage groups and back ends are broken for ISO. The common complaint I see tossed around is that you need low level block access. BS.

I still can play the streamed and mounted wirelesly, and jumping thru the hurdles and hours I've spent, no thank you.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966200

Maybe when they have it working as well as they did back in version 8 I'll give it another shot,
Are your isos encrypted or unencrypted?

mythtv is currently at version 0.26 - where you get 8 from I am unsure.
(2013-01-02, 06:53)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Are your isos encrypted or unencrypted?

mythtv is currently at version 0.26 - where you get 8 from I am unsure.

mythbuntu 8 we can assume
ISO files are unencrypted; yes and mythbuntu 8, what version that works out to be 0.23 or 0.21 I don't remember. I've upgraded a few items but the storage groups pretty much broke ISO support. Got it working via the hacks and manually mounting uuids.
I have the most recent and patched and it still doesn't work well, so I'd like to switch .

Hence how to configure the back end nas as raid 5 hardware or zfs-2, and what risks with green drives will I have.
unencrypted isos work with mythtv storage groups since 0.24 http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.24

I am most grateful for the reminder that myth has supported ISO since 0.24. Unfortunately other things have broken, and if I'm going to spend time trying to find it workable I'd rather move to a newer platform. Myth seems to be dedicated to pvr, something I don't use. I already have two installs of myth and neither work correctly; all in all I'd say I spent about 40 he's trying to get it to work before tossing in the towel.

That said, does freenas handle perc controllers well when integrated with green drives? Any array dropping issues?
Well if you don't want PVR then myth is a waste.

Sorry I don't even know what a perc controller is so can't answer that. Sorry to distract from your primary question. Just wanted to correct you on ISOs and myth, otherwise people reading this thread might get a wrong impression.