Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Do I need a keyboard to install/use XBMC/OpenELEC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am compiling parts for building a HTPC right now, and I was just wondering, do I need a keyboard to setup XBMC? I plan on installing OpenELEC at first and trying that out. I have a harmony 1000 touchscreen remote that I plan on using to control XBMC. I plan on using the HTPC/XBMC like an appliance, to play movies only for now. Will I need a keyboard for the initial setup? I only have two laptops, and I recently tossed the only keyboard I had in the house.

I think it wold pay to have one around, the moment someone says "you don't need one of those" there will be some tweak you want to run.

But hey, a keyboard is cheap, you don't need fancy.
Need, no.

Want, yes.

Setting up any XBMC system is 10x's easier with a keyboard.

Set up my OpenELEC system for the living room in about 15 minutes with a wireless keyboard. Can't imagine setting up passwords, IP addresses, and media location or plug in settings with just a remote. You'd be doing that... forever. Tongue

Good luck!
I'll get an RF keyboard then, just to have it, like the GKM561R from IoGear
You really only need it to set things up the first time, and even then it's more of a "nice to have" kind of thing. I've got a few keyboard remotes combos, and I don't really use the keyboard side at all on a daily basis.