Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Library update stuck on preparing... presumably due to offline source
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have been using XBMC (Dharma version) for the past two years and up until recently, when mainly the movies scraper started to fail, I was very happy with it.

Given that the developers have made significant steps and FRODO was close to its final release I decided to start the immigration process.

I must admit that it was not an easy, brief or uneventful journey but after a few days, I thought that I had finally have come to a point where I could consider the whole process complete, with the exception of finding – probably later – a suitable Confluence mod or another skin with more options.

Or so I thought….

When I started the immigration process to XBMC FRODO RC2 I copied my videos database to the appropriate folder (I am using the portable mode) and XBMC converted the old library file MyVideos34.db to the new MyVideos75.db file without any problems. Afterwards it re-associated the thumbs.

During this time I had my two NAS boxes turned on (in one I store music and TV series, while the other one is dedicated to movies). When I was almost finished I updated the database without problems. Actually FRODO was able to detect and add content something that for some reason I could no longer do for certain items in Dharma (probably the scraper add-on was outdated).

However the next day (yesterday) I noticed the following:

While having NAS-1 (Music & TV) turned on, I choose to update the database, since I had added some video files.
The scraper was stuck forever on “Preparing..”

I was baffled at first, given that I had never encountered this problem with XBMC Dharma. When I turned on NAS-2 (Movies) the update continued without a problem.

During the years that I have been using XBMC Dharma, if any of my sources were offline during the update XBMC just ignored it and moved on. In this case it would not add anything to the Movies catalog and it would go on to scan for TV content.

Is this no longer the case?

If it is, is there a way to have XBMC ignore/skip a media source when offline and continue to the next, without doing anything (i.e. deleting) to the offline content?

I assume that many users would have some content from an offline source that is occasionally updated and I do not see the point at all for XBMC to wait for this to become available in order to continue the update process.

I would truly appreciate some input from either the developers or fellow users on that issue that is a major problem for me.
(2013-01-03, 00:23)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146070 and bugtracker report http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/13602

uNi

uNiversal

Thanks a lot for the reply.

On the one hand i am glad that i am not the only one dealing with this problem.
i do not want to believe that this will not be fixed before Frodo goes to final.

Forcing the user to have all sources powered on is unacceptable in my opinion.
Moreover at some point this may not be in the user's hand (e.g. damaged nas)

if this happens it renders XBMC unusable, so whats the point.
hope to hear a solution about this issue soon.

I will probably be going back to Dharma for now

Eventually the bit that is stuck goes away as it processes all the entries on database the more entries you have the longer it takes and depending on source SMB is much slower than NFS to respond.

Anyway you should post your findings on the bug report along with your debug log, that is if you have any interest in helping this issue along. If you cant be bothered dont expect to hear anything back Wink

uNi
(2013-01-03, 01:35)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]If you cant be bothered dont expect to hear anything back Wink

uNi

Not a great attitude you have
@martinj

That last part you snipped out of context is dependant on whole paragraph on my reply and indeed the mh76 response for proper context imo.

Sad

and dependent on what you put in the trac ticket imo

Quote:Ok I lost interest ping me on forums if something happens please..

uNi
^^ this is in now way a motivating comment for a dev but i'm sure it will eventually be fixed
Are the NAS devices actually on/off or are they sleeping? If they're just sleeping and you are using Windows, there's a special test build of XBMC Frodo with a new "Wake" feature, where XBMC will send a wake command, and wait for the device to start up again, before doing things like a library scan. This might be a solution for you.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1272335
(2013-01-03, 01:35)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]Eventually the bit that is stuck goes away as it processes all the entries on database the more entries you have the longer it takes and depending on source SMB is much slower than NFS to respond.

Anyway you should post your findings on the bug report along with your debug log, that is if you have any interest in helping this issue along. If you cant be bothered dont expect to hear anything back Wink

uNi

of course i will try to help by posting the debug log. i will give it a go tonight although my DB is big and i do not know how long this will take. The other day it was stuck on "preparing..." for over one hour
What is actually meant by findings? just the conclusion that i came up with?

On a more general note - i have read the whole post/paragraph and although i did not really bother me, because i have every intention of helping, i have to agree with Martinj's comment as this was a rather abrupt way to conclude the post

(2013-01-03, 06:49)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Are the NAS devices actually on/off or are they sleeping? If they're just sleeping and you are using Windows, there's a special test build of XBMC Frodo with a new "Wake" feature, where XBMC will send a wake command, and wait for the device to start up again, before doing things like a library scan. This might be a solution for you.

The NAS devices are actually off, not sleeping, so this will probably not help in this case. Thanks anyway
(2013-01-03, 08:32)mh76 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-03, 06:49)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Are the NAS devices actually on/off or are they sleeping? If they're just sleeping and you are using Windows, there's a special test build of XBMC Frodo with a new "Wake" feature, where XBMC will send a wake command, and wait for the device to start up again, before doing things like a library scan. This might be a solution for you.

The NAS devices are actually off, not sleeping, so this will probably not help in this case. Thanks anyway

Are you able to power-on your NAS by sending it a WOL magic packet? If so, maybe this new XBMC wake feature might still work if it uses WOL?
(2013-01-03, 09:08)artrafael Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-03, 08:32)mh76 Wrote: [ -> ]

Are you able to power-on your NAS by sending it a WOL magic packet? If so, maybe this new XBMC wake feature might still work if it uses WOL?

I have a Synology DS409 and a Synology DS411j. AFAIK none of them support WOL.
Also having this issue, and in the current state my XBMC installation is permanently stuck on "preparing" every time I launch it.

XBMC log: Removed as issue is resolved.

UPDATE: Fixed the issue by going into saved credentials on my PC and adding the SMB password for the shared folder.
Start -> run -> netplwiz -> advanced -> manage passwords -> windows credentials -> add a windows credential -> network address: \\NAMEOFSHARE

As soon as this was added, the library refreshed and everything is working fine now Smile
(2013-04-13, 23:41)NmEizzle Wrote: [ -> ]Also having this issue, and in the current state my XBMC installation is permanently stuck on "preparing" every time I launch it.

XBMC log: Removed as issue is resolved.

UPDATE: Fixed the issue by going into saved credentials on my PC and adding the SMB password for the shared folder.
Start -> run -> netplwiz -> advanced -> manage passwords -> windows credentials -> add a windows credential -> network address: \\NAMEOFSHARE

As soon as this was added, the library refreshed and everything is working fine now Smile

As I'm having same problem (xbmc on openelec, NAS based on WIndows 8 PC) can you be more specific?
Do you have NAS based on Windows OS? What OS runs your XBMC machine?
Just posting for posterity.

I've just changed subnets on my local network, changed the sources to point to the new (NFS) location, However it was timing out on "Preparing...". Rebooted the box, still no change, cleaned up the database via the GUI, still timing out.

Turned out that the MoviedDB addon did save the sources.xml properly however the MySQL path table had the scraper entry for TheMovieDB still pointing to the old IP address (looks like the addon didn't update the record in the MySQL path table).

Anyways, manually adjusting the IP address on MySQL fixed it for me.
Having the same problem
Device log
http://xbmclogs.com/prv4sch5c
Pages: 1 2