Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Blu-Ray Movies in ISO or MKV?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I probably should have a different post on this other question... Wanted to get a suggestion.

I have been ripping my Blu-Ray Movies in ISO & MKV.

I see that XBMC plays both... and wanted to check on suggestions on which one I should stick with... either ISO or MKV.

I know that MKV may be more supported with other hardware... but In reality... I like this XBMC and wanted to check it out before building a HTPC.

I see myself sticking with XBMC... So do I stick with ISO or MKV ?

Thanks in advance.
I would stick with MKV. It's easier to manage things in the library when it's in an MKV container rather than an ISO container. I'm also not a big fan of disc menus.
OK...

BTW, are there disc menus in XBMC ?
DVD yes, BR is limited. I recommend mkv's too, that way you can get rid of audio streams/subtitles that you dont use and save some space.
Menu hater says +1 to mkv's Smile

Aren't those menus just designed to be hated?
I try to use MKVs as much as I can, to eliminate the menus, and go directly to playing the movie when I click on it. Smile
I use MKV for 2D BDs and ISO for 3D BDs since I'm not quite sure how or even if MK3D supports 3D content in MVC format. Once ffmpeg finally supports MVC, I'll probably re-do the 3D ISOs as MK3D.
If I recall right, there´s no chapter skipping possible (only with using some other tools) in MKV. So I prefere to keep the BR-structure and put this into an ISO. So I have the chapters and don´t need to use any other tools.

Just my 2 cents
no xbmc definitely skips by chapter with an mkv
What about forced subtitles?
For mkvs, u need to know in advance the subtitle track that contains forced subs and then 'mark' it (using something like mkvmerge) or manually select that track under xbmc
With ISOs I presume the subs just work?