Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Change channel really slow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
@VTCop: yes that is still the latest build (12.2). Gotham support is still work-in-progress.
I haven't tested it with other backends, but I've heard that other NextPVR users said it improved the channel switching also for them.
I've just test the last Gotham nightly, and then I've test your last margro 12.2 build, both with NextPVR, and... OH MY GOD!

With yours about only 1 second to channel change. It's awesome!

With nightly it's much more

Thank for your hard work
I tried margo's 12.2 build for my system and it actually made it slower. "I appreciate your work margo" Smile
So here is my setup

Server: Custom
Software: Server 2012 with Active Directory setup "I'm a nerd what can I say"
BDA Support added " for Ceton InfiniTV 4" Kinda Proud I got this one working" lol
Running margo's Media Portal addon for 1.4
MySQL 5.1 and 5.6
Media Portal 1.4 Final "Using MySQL 5.1"
Xbmc with AdvancedSettings.xml "using MySql 5.6"

Hardware:
Cable Card: Ceton InfiniTV 4 x1 gonna add another one asap. I can't add the Ceton InfiniTV 6 due to Verizon fios limiting 3 connections per card.
Intel I7-3770K 3.5Ghz "No overclocking"
32 GB 2000 Memory
Hard Drives:
1: 2TB Primary WD Black "Running Time Shifting and Recording"
2: 3 TB WD Blue "Movies1" "Local Content"
3. 3 TB WD Blue "Movies2" "Local Content"
4. 3 TB WD Blue "Movies3" "Local Content"
5. 3 TB WD Blue "TV Shows 1" "Local Content"
6. 3 TB WD Blue "TV Shows 2" "Local Content"
7. 2TB Primary WD Black" Backs Up Primary

Power Supply: 1200 Wt.

Client Machines: X3
i7- 3.2Ghz
8GB 1600 Memory
WD Blue 500 GB
660TI Video Card

Network:
Gigabyte Everything.

When using XBMC for local 50GB movies at 50+ MB+ Sec I can FF on 32X through the whole movie.
So not gonna be a network or hardware issue.

I shut down 2 of the client machines to run my first test and nothing else running on or to the server.
My channel changes sometimes take up to 15-18 sec. but most of the time 10-12

I have changed all the settings in the XBMC PRV Media Portal addon "Front End"
I can run FFMPEG it runs channel changes from 8-10 sec but it seams from time to time stop the tv service and there is no FF or RW or Pause options. lol
I did fix the issue "Kindof" by telling the TV Service to restart upon failure. Then you would have to wait about 10 seconds and then it would work again. "Kept me from having to login to the server and manually do it"
But you know the wife isn't gonna like having to wait. lol

I have followed every instruction to the T and triple checked them I would be happy with "well lets be honest 1 sec" but less than 5 would allow me to ditch directTV and save 90 dollars a month.
Any thoughts?
@itsupportca: It only works when the MediaPortal PVR addon is in TSReader mode (without RTSP) and with "Fast channel switching" enabled.
margo I reloaded my devices and started from scratch with your build of 12.2.
Way way way faster.
My only problem now is that sometimes when changing a channel, it spins and spins and then pops the error no PMT
it seams to be random but more so when changing from SD to SD or HD to SD. It doesn't do this with the client mp installed on another machine.

Also a general Question I use WebMediaPortal and schedule TV shows. It's a little clunky and I understand it may be a while off till this gets built in to the current addon for XBMC.
But for now it works.
Where would I set "like" TV shows to go into a folder instead of a huge list?

Thanks for your time.
I can code the heck out of a custom website and I'm a Computer guy, I wish I could help you code this but desktop apps are far beyond me. lol
Is there a nightly Gotham build with margros fast swiching changes included or are they already in the gotham branch?
I tried to follow all the various github commits and so on. As far as I can see, the change that margro had was more a bandaid/workaround and just reduced the timeout for how long to wait while identifying the stream, when in live tv. It seems the actual fix was lower down in the ffmpeg code and as far as I could track down it seems like eventually these changes DID make it into the Gotham code base, so fingers crossed! Im not sure if any TV addons are working under Gotham yet though... I need to look into that side now
Hi margro

margo we can expect a build with XBMC 13 Gotham?
I need xbmc 13 with fast channel switching!

donation is of course

Big THX you're the man here!
@margro
I just wanted to let you know that I've been testing the channel switching change for 4 months now (with XBMC pre-Gotham and the MythTV pvr addon):
https://github.com/fetzerch/xbmc/commit/...5035930ae6

It works impressively well, therefore I'd also think we should try to get it into upstream XBMC.
So do you have any plans submitting this? If you're short of time, I could assist and create the PR.

Cheers,
Christian
we talked about this @devcon.
I use nearly the same modification and asked about getting it in, but it was said that it needs more work.
Maybe it's a matter to be changed in ffmpeg.
I'll try to keep you updated on my progress.
Perhaps someone could provide us with a resent Gotham build with the channel switching change in the mean time. It would be greatly appreciated since there are some Gotham features that I would like to take advantage of, but the slow channel switching times are not approved by the rest of the family. I have tried to build it myself but got a lot of errors that I not been able to sort out.

/Marcus
(2013-10-13, 15:02)cfetzer Wrote: [ -> ]@margro
I just wanted to let you know that I've been testing the channel switching change for 4 months now (with XBMC pre-Gotham and the MythTV pvr addon):
https://github.com/fetzerch/xbmc/commit/...5035930ae6

It works impressively well, therefore I'd also think we should try to get it into upstream XBMC.
So do you have any plans submitting this? If you're short of time, I could assist and create the PR.

Cheers,
Christian
Well, the plan was indeed to prepare it for upstream inclusion. I just had no time to dive into a few remaining issues like occasionally loosing video streams after switching. Most of the time, the fast-zapping is working fine.
All help from you and others is welcome to get it ready for Gotham.
I've seen that Davilla was also playing with this patch for Pivos purposes.

Anyway, the latest Gotham code can be found here: https://github.com/margro/xbmc/tree/faster-zapping
This includes most of the zapping related changes I've seen in your repo, whaupt's version and davilla's modifications.

@macardi, @R3N3:
Ok, here a quick Dropbox link to my latest Windows Gotham build (based on the above linked "faster-zapping" branch):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7249...apping.exe
Hi margro BIG THX
check;-) Donation

i have installed the build xbmc-20131013-margro-8c72929-faster-zapping
-Ts reader does not work, live tv does not start
-FFMPEG works but very slowly
-Have found TS Reader works only with rtsp stream 1 seconds slower channel switch As before 12.2 frodo(margro)

My 12.2 settings are
Ts reader
Rtsp off
Fast channel switch off
Delay 0 ms

I made the best experiences like this. 1 - 2 seconds switch at
Unencrypted channels

My idea whats wrong.... I noticed a certain alpha version did not work from today to tomorrow TS Readers Live TV

I suspect Alpha 6 or later...

Sorry for my bad english
(2013-10-14, 01:46)R3N3 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi margro BIG THX
check;-) Donation

i have installed the build xbmc-20131013-margro-8c72929-faster-zapping
-Ts reader does not work, live tv does not start
-FFMPEG works but very slowly
-Have found TS Reader works only with rtsp stream 1 seconds slower channel switch As before 12.2 frodo(margro)

My 12.2 settings are
Ts reader
Rtsp off
Fast channel switch off
Delay 0 ms

I made the best experiences like this. 1 - 2 seconds switch at
Unencrypted channels

My idea whats wrong.... I noticed a certain alpha version did not work from today to tomorrow TS Readers Live TV

I suspect Alpha 6 or later...

Sorry for my bad english

The new Build is working very well for me. (Thanks Margo!)

I agree, I think the TS reader had been broken since Alpha 6, maybe 7 also... but with Alpha 8, TS had been working again (but with slow channel change).

I have fast channel change enabled and RTSP off.
Okey what i am doing Wrong ? t-magnus

What version of MediaPortal you use?
what version of XBMC TV SERVER version you use?
how long did you live TV tested?

with 12.2 Frodo and fast channel switching is active is not bug free for me , if you longer than 20 minutes look the same channel ones and change to another channel comes the Timeshift messed then see the same TV what I started watching 20 minutes ago.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19