Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Frodo doesn't retain screen output settings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Screen #1 is my computer screen on my media PC
Screen #2 is my TV through HDMI

I set Frodo for Screen #2 full screen ouput (I've tried windowed and not windowed) and if I turn the TV off (Screen #2), then xBMC reverts to Screen #1. When I turn Screen #2 back on, it doesn't bounce back to Screen #2, it stays at Screen #1 or I lose it entirely where I have to end task and fight with it for 10-15 minutes of opening and closing until finally it opens correctly for whatever reason. I recreated it today because when I turned my TV on, xBMC was gone. I went to the Screen #1 and while it was in Windowed mode it reverted xBMC over to Screen #1 and I was able to set the Settings back to Screen #2. Once it was back on Screen #2, I then took it out of windowed mode (since I only started using Windowed in Frodo, thinking that was the issue) and then I turned the TV off. Turn the TV back on and it's not on Screen #1 or Screen #2 anymore. I can't find it. Have to end task it a few times before it will reset and show up on one of the screens.

I never had this problem with the previous xBMC version.

Operating system: Windows 7
Version: Frodo RC3 from the download site (not a nightly build)
Anyone? Literally every single day when I switch my TV from HDMI 1 (normal TV) to HDMI 2 I have to fight with XBMC to get it to show on Screen #2 again. I never had this problem on the previous version of XBMC. It shows the screen as black but it's not the screen saver/dimmed. I use LogMeIn.com to access my Media PC and reopen XBMC and once or twice it'd open correctly on Screen #2, but the rest of the time it tries to open on Screen #1 as a black screen.
I'm having the same issue with ALL settings - very strange. I set things in the menu, later reboot, and everything is set back to the defaults again. It's maddening!
You'd be more likely to get help if you asked properly. Try posting basic info like which operating system you are on, which version of XBMC (exactly - frodo is not a version until it is released - it is an RC version, neither is "latest").

Also enable debugging and post your log file via a pastebin site.

I added my OS and version to the first post but it's Windows 7 and RC3. When I fight with XBMC tonight, I'll enable debug mode.
Alright here's the pastebin log file -- I turned it on around Midnight when I went to bed knowing that by this morning it'd do the same thing.

http://www.pastebin.com/pkxHm8gG

So this morning when I came back to the TV, I switched the TV to HDMI2 (which is the MediaPC) and I have a blank, black screen. I use LogMeIn.com to log into the mediaPC and I try minimizing and maximizing the screen but alas, it's just a black screen on my TV so I had to use Task Manager to end the process. Reopen XBMC and it opens in the 2nd screen perfectly fine.

So the real lines to pay attention to are from 00:00 (Midnight) to 11:00am when I sat down to watch a TV show and the screen was black and wouldn't display anything.

Looking through the log I see these lines -- maybe they have to do with it?

00:00:11 T:5396 DEBUG: CWinSystemWin32::SetFullScreen (true fullscreen) on screen 0 with size 1280x960, refresh 75.000000
00:00:11 T:5396 ERROR: CWinSystemWin32::ChangeResolution: error, code -2
00:00:11 T:5396 DEBUG: CWinSystemWin32::ResizeInternal - resizing due to size change (0,0,1280,960 fullscreen)->(0,0,0,0 fullscreen)
00:00:11 T:5396 DEBUG: CWinEventsWin32::WndProc: window resize event
00:00:11 T:5396 DEBUG: CRenderManager::UpdateDisplayLatency - Latency set to 0 msec
00:00:11 T:5396 DEBUG: CWinEventsWin32::WndProc: window resize event

Seems like it resizes to 0,0,0,0 but then when I switch the TV to HDMI2 it doesn't return to 1280,960 fullscreen.
Anyone? This is literally happening every single day. When I switch my TV over to the MediaPC, I have to use LogMeIn.com to then move XBMC back to FullScreen #2 because it defaulted to FullScreen #1.

I never had this problem with the previous version of XBMC (prior to Frodo).
I'm having a similar problem - It's almost as if I have two different profiles/configurations.

I set everything up, including Video calibration, and it is fine for the duration of my session. then I hit the power button on my remote (which should shut down XBMC), however it doesn't shut off - it restarts - but now none of my settings are there! It's very bizarre. I have to do Video calib again, and my refresh rate is wrong.

You might try that, to see if you've got a session that saves and one that doesn't. Obviously this reboot-instead-of-shutdown thing is a bug, but it's also very strange that I seem to have a read-only session the second time it boots.
I opened up a bug in the Bug Tracker since it appears no one is offering support in the forum.

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/13988
You get what you pay for.
(2013-01-18, 10:20)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]You get what you pay for.

Actually it doesn't matter if you pay at all, support in these forums are dependant on a few things. Smile Though I get it XBMC is free as in free beer...

1 - Time - The people offering help here do this on their own time. After they finish work, pick up kids from school, cook and have dinner and god forbid some relax time!
2 - Price - The people offering help here are not paid, developers are not paid, no one gets paid!
3 - Knowledge - The people that help here have to have the knowledge to be able to reply and help in specific question. In addition its beneficial if helper is familiar with circumstances of person asking.
4 - Obligation - No one here is obligated to help in any way shape or form, these are volunteers XBMC users that for the love to XBMC try to provide others with help

Having said this (which I felt compelled to) I cant est it since I dont use windows, this thread should have been moved to Windows subforum where other users probably hang out and could come across this.

uNi
Definitely understand and agree, uNi, when it comes to the support. I just thought that it's been almost two weeks since the thread was posted that someone would be willing to offer assistance or things to try for troubleshooting. I was hesitant to post the thread in the Windows-specific section because I'm not sure if it's a Windows-specific issue or if it's a universal issue on how XBMC handles the screen output when the screen it's assigned to "goes away" (IE monitor/TV turns off or is switched to a different input). Regardless, hopefully now that it's submitted under the Bugtracker it will get a little more attention.
I'm not sure on the exact details, or even if this really is the intended behavior, but I think the issue is that XBMC now tries to keep XBMC on your active window. Basically, a display has disappeared, but another display is still on, so the assumption is that XBMC should go there rather than disappear. I think. One of the developers would be able to shed more light on this.
Same Issue here, running on Windows 7. Second display is set to run XBMC on a large screen TV, funny thing is when I turn the TV off XBMC remains on display 2, it is only when I turn it back on it reverts to screen 1 (primary screen). Didn't have the problem with the previous release.