Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Play music on seperate wireless speaker
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm looking for some help, at the moment i am finding my feet with my new raspberry pi media center PC with xbmc on openelec, and i apologize if this question has already been asked - what i would like to do is play music from my openelec r pi which is connected to my main TV in the living room to a ''satellite'' speaker in a different room for example the kitchen, so far i haven't managed to research much only that the Bluetooth route may not be an option - i am wondering if this - www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Veho-Mimi-VSS-002W-Po...;hash=item19d5b3f9f4 might be an option? if not does anyone have any ideas??
Your link doesn't work
Oh sorry it was just for a 30 pound wifi speaker and USB dongle any ideas?
If it works as a usbaudio device it should work in linux. However some usbaudio devices are reported as NOT working with RPi so you run a risk there...

Once it is working, the usb part in will create an new alsa audio device, which you can switch to in xbmc settings. However you will have to switch back and forwards between usbaudio and whatever device you normally use for audio.

PS why not just get another (cheap) rpi and run it as a musice centre attached to a dac and real speakers in the other room?
Well I only plan to use one speaker for the kitchen then when I'm normal use I will be using my audio system in the living room is there anyway you can give me a step by step guide?
I don't know what that is
Just a wifi speaker with a wlan dongle
Sorry nickr I didn't read the second part of your post are there any step by step guidelines on how to do this with 2nd rpi
I would tend to use http://www.squeezeplug.eu/ for a rpi music centre.
I'm sorry I really am a novice do you have a more detailed description if how to build this
There is a video on squeezeplug.eu, watch it!
Ok no worries ill take a look I do appreciate your help I'm sorry I'm such newbie
Aside from any raspberry pi specific issues, in general wireless speakers have a big problem: delay. Assuming your kitchen is next to your living room, the audio in both would be out of sync and sound terrible if it where playing in both. I also wouldnt trust bluetooth to have sufficient range.

If you want something that plays music independently from the XBMC Pi (but from its library), the easiest solution would be to buy some networked media player. Something like a Logitech Squeezebox (although I think they are a bit pricey).