Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: help - which step should I take
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All

I am relatively new to XBMC and a new poster to this forum - although I have found it invaluable in getting me up and running. After a lot of research and testing products I chose XBMC for my media server for my lounge and love it. Fantastic job.

I am now looking to take the next step and expand access to my media from other rooms in the house so have bought a Raspberry Pi to run Xbmc on. Essentially giving me the same capabilities in my bedroom.

My setup
- Ubuntu 12.04
- XBMC v11 installed from 'software centre'
- media is stored on an internal disk separate to the OS/ XBMC install
- directly attached to my TV

Now the questions

1. What is the best way to connect the Pi as a client to the central server such that it reuses the film and music info etc. I have read about storing the info in MySql but couldn't see how to import current data. Is this the best way?
2. How does the Pi see the movies themselves? Do I need to remotely mount the disk in a special way so the central data in MySql is the same foe both clients or does the Xbmc server stream it to the pi.
3. I currently run v11 and see that the Pi version is v12. Are these compatible or should I upgrade my server to v12 also. I will want to do this at somepoint but was waiting for the full release.
4. Final question is that I originally installed and run xbmc as a particular user but now it auto logs in want to switch to a locked down user. Will the above MySql setup solve this or will MySql tables etc need to be owned by the locked down user?

Thanks in advance for your help

Lee.